Looking for Paul Bellus
Tue Sep 30 19:04:44 CDT 1997
Could Paul Bellus from U of Iowa please backchannel me.
| Peter McCollum "I'm always amazed at what can take place in
| Ender at Whidbey.Net space of 365 days."
| -The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
>From Tue Sep 30 20:26:02 1997
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 1997 20:26:02 -0500
Reply-To: Jensen_Scott/web_media at WEBSTER2.WEBSTERUNIV.EDU
To: Team Topic Debating in America <EDEBATE at LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Scott Jensen <Jensen_Scott/web_media at WEBSTER2.WEBSTERUNIV.EDU>
Subject: Pi Kappa Delta host in 2001?
Comments: To: ie-l at cornell.edu, parli at willamette.edu
Item Subject: Message text
Pi Kappa Delta is looking for chapters interested in hosting the
2001 National Tournament and Convention. While we are particularly
interested in a West sight, difficulties in coordinating spring breaks
has led us to open up the search to all interested parties.
Hosting this event is a great opportunity for a school. Benefits
1. A feature article in THE FORENSIC, as well as constant publicity for
your local chapter in PKD's new newsletter, THE KEY.
2. Waived provincial and national dues for the year of and prior to the
3. Waived tournament and convention fees for the national event being
4. Several complimentary banquet tickets for distinguished guests.
5. The invitational tournaments of the host school are usually much
larger the year of and prior to the nationals...extra revenue!
6. MUCH less expense to attend the national tournament...it's in your
At minimum, a local host would need to provide the following...
1. 90 to 100 rooms for competition and extemp draw
2. a tabulation area--either small rooms adjacent to one another or
one-two large areas
3. four computer/printer set-ups for tabulation
4. a hotel facility with 300+ rooms, accomodations for a meeting and
banquet of 800, breakout rooms for 8 provinces to meet, as well as
two permanent rooms for a store and hall of fame/history display
5. an equivalent of 20-25 full time critics for ies and debate
6. a group of tournament workers not obligated as competitors or
7. support from your province
As well, local hosts have offered...
1. donations of cash or in-kind needs (printing, etc.)
2. provincial hosting of the kickoff receptions Wednesday evening
3. support from the local chamber of commerce or tourism bureau in
terms of registration assistance, stuff for "goodie bags," etc.
This is really a very special opportunity. As someone who has
helped host a nationals, the experience is a labor of love. I encourage
any and all interested parties to contact me for more information. I am
very interested in securing a list of potential sites by the upcoming
NCA convention. I will be happy to discuss further details with any and
all interested parties.
I look forward to hearing from many of you!
Webster University, St. Louis MO
sjensen at websteruniv.edu
More information about the Mailman