Gateway and Webster Invitations I of IV

Tom Preston scprest
Thu Sep 25 10:16:39 CDT 1997

To:  The Community

From:  Tom Preston

Re:  Promised Reprise of Gateway Invitation

As promised, what follows, in four emails, is the invitation to the Gateway
and Webster Swing October 31-Nov. 2.  This is split up so as not to
"overload" some of the older computers to which it is being sent, as was
pointed out when the first iteration was sent.

As also promised, this will be the second of only three times I will post
it to the l's.  This is to achieve a balance of not overkilling, yet making
sure nobody falls through the cracks.  You may email your entries to the
gateway if you like, or print off the forms from one of the four
installations:  You may also request a snailmail hard copy from me.  Most
of the snailmails went out today.

I also apologize for my erroneous claim that some had "jumped on" our date
again.  Whereas this did happen the past two years (and the problems were
cleared up very cooperatively), as it was pointed out, there were early,
legitimate and helpful reasons for some of the changes.  Overall, we are
happy with this date, and feel that its being relatively free from other
tournaments should make it a competitive event.

Nonetheless, I wish all directors well with their tournaments, and welcome
each and every one of you to ours should you deem it feasible.

Tom

Here's Part I:

UM                                      UM-St. Louis Forensics/Debate
                                        Department of Communication
                                                8001 Natural Bridge Road
                                                St. Louis, MO 63121-4499

Dear Colleagues:

On behalf of the Missouri Psi Chapter of Pi Kappa Delta and the Debate and
Forensics program at the University of Missouri-St. Louis, you are invited
to attend the Gateway Communication Tournament October 31-November 1, 1997.
This tournament--reduced to a two-day format that enables all to enjoy the
entire Webster University part of our swing November 2, or, if in debate
only, to spend all day Sunday enjoying St. Louis or returning home--with
rest--for Monday classes--features four divisions of debate (Open
Parliamentary, Open NFA LD, Open Team CEDA/NDT, JV Team CEDA NDT) and
fifteen individual events (The AFA 11 plus improv at the tournament, plus
three mediated events judged in advance of the tournament.  Especially
check out our  E-Mail Argumentation event--all you have to do is email an
argument on any topic of under 1000 words, send in the fee, and find out
who wins at the awards ceremony.  For this and our other two mediated
events, you don't even have to travel to participate!)

Again, for those who also do IE's, check out Webster's one-day event
Sunday--its invitation and entry forms are included in this invitation!.

WE CAN OFFER AN AWESOME HOTEL RATE FROM THE AIRPORT MARRIOT, AND ALTHOUGH
THE BLOCK IS HELD UNTIL OCTOBER 1, WE ENCOURAGE YOU TO MAKE ROOM
RESERVATIONS EARLY BY CALLING 1-314-423-9700.  Be sure to mention UM-St.
Louis Gateway Debate Tournament to the clerk to obtain this special offer,
and be sure to make reservations by October 1 to ensure yourself of this
special rate.

The IE tabroom will be directed by Forensics Guru (Church, 1997) Scott
Jensen of Webster University, and the debate tabroom will be directed ably
by Jennifer Rigdon at Southeast Missouri State University.

Our open debate division will be a qualifier for the Jesuit swing, and will
be the only two-day tournament on the swing calendar!  There will also be
speaker awards for the top five or top ten novice entries in the JV
division, as warranted by number of novice teams.  The top novice team in
each division (except for open policy debate divisions except in the
unlikely chance we collapse, which has never happened) and each individual
event will be honored, and in the Pi Kappa Delta tradition, excellent
awards will go to the top thirty per cent in each event.

We look forward to seeing you at this year's Gateway Tournament, and if
your schedule permits, at the second half of the Louisiana Purchase Swing
at Webster University.  Entry deadline is 5:00 PM Tuesday October 28--No
exceptions!

Thank you for your kind support, especially those who wrote letters on
behalf of our program last Spring.  If not for that, you would not be
reading this invitation.

Sincerely,

C. Thomas Preston, Jr.                          Kenneth Winfrey
Director of Forensics, Director, GCT            President, UM-St. Louis
Forensics
        Co-Director, GCT
 General Notes on the Gateway Tournament

What you can and cannot enter at the same time:

Entering Parliamentary and NFL/LD--NO--This cannot be done since rounds
will run concurrently.

Entering Parliamentary and IE--YES--it will be grueling if the student does
a lot of IE--carry some candy bars and take advantage of our snacks--we may
even get permission to sell Jolt Cola.  But the schedule WILL allow for
this. IE'rs can also enter NFA LD.

Entering several ie's--YES--We recommend no more than four per conflict
pattern while at the tournament (for a total of eight plus mediated
events), however, students are responsible for performing within the time
allocated for the round.  NO SPEECHES WILL START FEWER THAN TEN MINUTES
BEFORE THE END OF A ROUND!

Entering Team (NDT/CEDA) Policy Debate and IE's--NO--these run concurrently.

Entering Team (NDT/CEDA) Policy Debate and another form of debate--NO--all
debate runs concurrently all day Saturday.

YOU MAY DO ANY OF THE ABOVE PLUS ENTER IE'S AT WEBSTER, HOWEVER.

Other Features, some new and interesting:

As you have figured out, we will offer an NFA LD division (five prelims
plus appropriate outrounds) plus a SIX round Parliamentary division (with
appropriate outrounds).

NO DIVISION OF DEBATE WILL GO BEYOND OCTAFINALS, REGARDLESS OF HOW LARGE
THE ENTRY BECOMES!  But we've never had to . . .

THERE WILL BE DUPLICATE AWARDS FOR TEAMS ADVANCING IN DEBATE--but they will
be smaller as we have to stay within last year's trophy budget!  All and
all it will be well worth your money.

Individual Events: This is a communication tournament since we have THREE
mass media events this year--be looking for the rules in the invitation! We
will offer 1) Radio Broadcasting; 2) Television Segment; and 3) Email
Argumentation.  See new rules as to how to enter--we need them in ADVANCE
this year--NOT at the tournament! THE RULES:

CEDA/NDT TEAM DEBATE--We will go back to the 8-3-5 format for both
divisions, and each team will be limited to five minutes total in
preparation time throughout the debate.

The tournament philosophy is that these divisions should be training
grounds for potential future national champions.  Our varsity division has
traditionally been ranked near the top of the Jesuit qualifiers.  Thus, the
style of debate done at the Jesuit Round Robin is the style which should be
aimed for at the Gateway.  These divisions will be run according to the
norms of the national circuit, and every effort will be made such that all
critics in rounds have extensive training in the national circuit style of
policy debating.  Although each critic may have his/her own judging
philosophy, the tournament will stress creativity in analysis and
comprehensiveness in research preparation and presentation of information.
Strike sheets will be employed to ensure as much satisfaction with critics
as feasible.

Parliamentary Debate--We will follow NPDA Rules for time format: 7-8-8-8-4-5.

The tournament philosophy in parliamentary debating at the Gateway is that
it, is a place where future national champions (such as last year's
winner's from Regis University) would desire to attend.  Clearly, however,
the expectations and ways of obtaining this will differ from the policy
debate division.  The philosophy this year will remain, as it has been yet
is unstated in the past, along the lines of Brockriede's "debate for
lovers" article.  In these divisions, clearly, public speaking and audience
oriented skills will be stressed, although logical analysis, creativity in
terms of humor and gentle heckling, and strategic use of parliamentary
motions during the debate will also be stressed.  Although we will use
school judges to their commitments, we also reserve the right to make
liberal use of trained, lay critics to test the ability to argue in front
of a reasonably intelligent general audience.  Rounds may NOT be stopped on
procedural issues such as "truisms" or "tautologies", although like in any
other motion a critic can pronounce such arguments as "well taken" or "not
well taken."  The main idea is that for educational purposes the debaters
argue these throughout the round.  As is preferred by most programs
involved in Parliamentary, judge assignment will be random, without
strikes.  THE FINAL ROUND OF THIS TOURNAMENT WILL BE MASS-JUDGED by an
audience in the Honors College Convocation Center.  Our goal will be to
fill this room with over 200 persons (exclusive of persons connected with
the school(s) with teams represented at this round), all of whom will vote
to determine the Gateway Parliamentary Champion Team.

NFA-LD--We will follow NFL Rules:  6-3-7-3-6-6-3, three minutes prep per
side.

The philosophy behind this event will be an eclectic one, somewhere in
between the CEDA/NDT division and the parliamentary divisions.  We
recognize that this form of debate is challenging to the students, who are
expected to run a plan on a policy-type resolution, yet at the same time
speak at a reasonable rate and not exceed the time limits!  We will leave
it to the individual critics--a separate pool from the parliamentary
pool--to decide where to draw what lines where.  We will provide NFA rules
to the critics in this division so that they will understand the objectives
of NFA in formulating this event, and to assist them in rewarding those who
best obtain those objectives.  This is a growing division at our
tournament, and we invite you to try it.  As is preferred by most involved
in NFA debate, there will be no strike sheets and judge assignment will be
random.  And although this division is new to our tournament, students who
have fared well at NFA in this have attended our tournament.  We hope
others will this year. The AFA 11--These events will follow the same rules
as the 11 AFA national tournament individual events. The Flight A events
will be impromptu speaking, persuasive speaking, communication analysis,
poetry interpretation, mixed (programmed oral) interpretation, and dramatic
duo interpretation.

The Flight B events will be extemporaneous speaking, informative speaking,
after dinner speaking, prose interpretation, dramatic interpretation, and
duo improv, with improv being ten minutes to create and act out a situation
given before the round.  ADS FINALS MASS-JUDGED AT KARAOKE PARTY!

NOTE:  WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO CHANGE THE IE'S INTO 2.5 CONFLICT PATTERNS
IF WE FACE A ROOM SHORTAGE.  THIS WOULD WORK SIMILAR TO THE MAFL
TOURNAMENTS.

THE FOLLOWING WILL BE OUR MEDIATED EVENTS.  NOTE THE FOLLOWING SPECIAL FEATURES

1.  You don't have to furnish a judge for these events--they will be judged
by faculty, advanced students, and other media and forensics experts BEFORE
THE TOURNAMENT!  THEY WILL COUNT FULL FOR SWEEPSTAKES, and they can go
toward pentathlon, see below.

2.  You don't even have to travel to enter these events--BUT IF YOU SEND
TAPES, VIDEOS, OR EMAIL ME, a) we must have RECEIVED them by OCTOBER 15,
and b) WE must have your $5.00 per entry fee by then.  Although we will be
responsible for getting awards to you (traditional trophies for the top
six, plus certificates for the nonfinalists in the top 30 per cent), you
will be responsible for shipping costs of the tapes.  An additional $5.00/
per charge will apply to those who wish for us to ship the casettes or
tapes back.  Emails in the Email argumentation event may be sent at any
time, but MUST be dated before 5:00 PM October 15.

3.  If you DO plan to physically attend the tournament, you MAY enter into
the mediated events by sending the tapes by the advance deadlines, and then
PAY at tournament registration.  Those attending will receive all tapes and
videocasettes back.

Here are the mediated events of the GCT:

1.  RADIO BROADCASTING--Note change in rules:  The student will submit BY
OCTOBER 15--the receipt date--a two-minute tape of either an editorial or
news broadcast for a radio station.  The tape must simulate either of these
types of situations and must be over an actual here-and-now event;
hypothetical or fabricated events should not be included.  The event will
be judged on effectiveness of voice for radio, insight, and mechanical
correctness such as speaking precisely for 2 minutes.  Make the tape any
time- refine it- and turn it in at the registration desk!!  Introductory
music as is heard in news broadcasts is permissible but not mandatory--make
full use of the technical facilities available at your university and
involved the TV/Film Club if one exists.  No tapes will be accepted after
October 15, and CD's or reel tapes are not permitted--standard size
cassettes only please.   A very practical and expertly judged event with
relatively little preparation time that counts the same (with two rounds
and everything) as the other events for sweepstakes!!  EACH TAPE SHOULD
IDENTIFY IN WRITING THE NAME OF THE STUDENT AND THE SCHOOL OF THE TAPE.
Each entry should be submitted on a separate tape.  Unlimited entries per
school.  If you also wish to enter this at Webster, please indicate that on
the tape, and remember to pay them their $5.00 entry fee as well.  We will
send all tapes to Webster after our staff has finished judging them.