One WDI Aff
Mon Aug 24 17:43:45 CDT 1998
This is the one I have in front of me that Paul Kerr and I did in our
second wave lab, here is the outline.
could someone reciprocate with the ADI aff for the military?
Primary solvency author is Robin Rogers '90 78 CA L Rev 165, Fall?
"A Proposal for combatting Sexual Discrimination in the Military:
Amendment of Title VII"
Harrassment in the Military
- THe US Military continues to isolate itself from societal trends against
sexual harassment -- it is pervasive -- affecting advancement, causing
physical and emotional harm.
- Sexism has replaced racism as a primary focus of hostility -- women are
- Congress has consistently failed to act, taking little more than
- Title VII is the primary vehicle for challenging sexual harassment, yet
congress ignores the military and the courts have remained silent.
- current DOD equal opportunity procedure, the universal code of military
justice and the board of corrections of military records are inadequate to
solve the problem, an application of title VII would be the best solution
Plan: Congress shall amend title VII of the 1964 civil rights act by the
following: "Military departments, as provided in Section 2000e-16(a),
shall include uniformed personnel. The section shall not preclude
classification of combat as a bona fide occupational qualification, as
identified in Section 2000e-2(e)"
Title VII must be amended, present interpretations will not allow
harassment and discrimination to be addressed
- Application of Title VII to the military would transform misogynistic
attitudes and result in consistent grievance guidelines
- discrimination in the military snowballs throughout society affecting
women's economic advancement, equal access to healthcare, respect for
women, increasing male paternalism, decreasing women's political power and
- multiple theories of morality establish that sexual harassment is a
violation of fundamental principles, we have a moral obligation not to use
the victimization of men and women as a means to avoid other consequences.
- becasue of lack of title VII protection women are retaliated against
with charges of lesbianism
- such leverage has been used to force women into rape
- the psycological traumas of rape destroy a woman's psyche, ego and scars
- application of title VII solves all major problems with the military
- the courts and the executive branch are inadequate, only congress can
- the plan is an optimal solution - solving discrimination while involving
the military - resulting in better reporting, tracking, and streamlining
of grievance procedures
thanks to Paul Kerr (awesome to work with...), Vas, April, all three of
the Jennifers (scheller, geiss and edwards), carrol, Trainer, Chuck D,
Zeeeee, La Pointe, Kris (kross), Wyatt, Toni, Harris.. and of course Ms.
Rogers... for the article!!!
hope that helps...
Kenneth DeLaughder "While we sit we talk, we talk and we talk
Debate Coach some more...someone's loved one's heart
Eastern NM University stops beating in a street somewhere. And it
Station #3 would seem that we've still got a long, long
Portales, NM 88130 way to go...."
(505) 562-2841 (office) - Phil Collins
More information about the Mailman