NCA Panel Proposal - Any Takers?

Kenneth Broda-bahm broda
Tue Feb 2 09:33:10 CST 1999

I apologize to Glenda for the NCA deadline - somewhere in my
recollection was the erronious message that the d-line was the
15th.  In any case, I have a panel Idea that I believe would be
timely, relevant, and important to both debate practice as well
as the disciplines of argument outside of debate, if there is
still a chance of getting it accepted.

The following is my brief sketch of the focus of the panel.  If
you would like to be considered to be on the panel, send me the
following:
    * A title
    * A brief abstract
    * your name, affiliation, address, phone, email,
distinguishing birthmarkes,
    etc.

FOOLISH CONSISTENCIES:  THE ROLE AND FUNCTION OF CONTRADICTION IN
ARGUMENT

Advocates including competitive debaters have long held to the
belief that consistency is an unquestioned value: to argue in a
fair and organized manner one must advance positions which are
thematically consistent, or at least free from glaring
contradiction.  The practice of pointing out contradictions, or
granting one argument as a way of denying another, has long been
considered a staple of opponents both inside and outside academic
debate.  Current trends, however, have led to visible tensions in
presumed value of consistency.  Advocates of systemic or
discursive critiques for example often pragmatically seek
additional argumentative ground which contradicts the general
critique.  In addition, the incursion of a postmodern praxis into
debate has also led some to "color outside the lines" (sorry, had
to add it) by questioning the value of consistency itself.  The
essays on this panel address the current tension in argumentative
consistency by... (will be tailored to the papers I receive).

"A Brechtian Affirmation: A Case for a self-critical approach to
Advocacy."
Kenneth T. Broda-Bahm

The dramatic approach of Bertold Brecht embraces the idea that an
actor does not merely mimic a part, but also comments critically
upon the action in which they are engaged and the character which
they embody: the self-conscious aside to the audience conveying
more than the substance of lines and action. Following Burke,
this essay applies the lessons of drama to the stage of
rhetorical advocacy by advancing the argument that a self
conscious awareness-of-role and  component of self-criticism is
both possible and desirable in an argumentative context.
Examples from political dispute as well as academic debate will
be considered.

  Let me know if you would like your paper added.  ASAP.