Good Questions (Time for Divisions)

Amy Fugate afugate
Mon Feb 1 18:55:37 CST 1999

And community colleges would go where??

Amy Fugate
Johnson County Community College

Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 20:02:08 EST
To: Team Topic Debating in America <EDEBATE at LIST.UVM.EDU>
From: Michael Bear Bryant <MWBRYANT at AOL.COM>
Subject: Re: That Ole Identity Construction Problem....
Comments: To: ccooper at CKRC.ORG

In a message dated 2/1/99 4:52:12 PM Mountain Standard Time, ccooper at CKRC.ORG
writes:

<<
 AHA!!  Begs the question!!  How can the self-identified minority know who
 is "typically underepresented" in judging pools if we can't identify
 minorities without their self-identification?

 Example:  How do I know that queers are underepresented in judging pools if
 I don't know the sexual orientation of my fellow judges?

 --COOP

Duh, and what are you arguing for, Coop, official outing parties? Will we ever
be able to make decisions on sexual minorities, since many sexual minorities
make the choice to not to publicly disclose their orientation? Actual
underreprepresentation is irrelevant. If anyone feels that they deserve aff.
placement, all they got to do is ask and be willing to explain why they feel
excluded.

And many folks have belabored the point that sexual minorities may already be
overrepresented on elim panels. Now, I'm not taking this position, but how do
those statements line up with your perceptions?

Bear