Celebrating Men in Debate

Sarah E. Chan sarah.chan
Mon Jan 31 23:52:29 CST 2000

I'd like to recognize and say thanks to Pat Gehrke and Terry Winebrenner
who were always supportive, especially when I was a novice; Bear, Bill
Sheffield, and Steve Woods who were my first arg group leaders; Tuna; and
Jamey Dumas and Paul Hayes and Tracy Gonos (and yes, I know Tracy isn't a
man), my arg group leaders the second year. And of course, my coaches,
Bill and Dave and Scott.  They were always incredibly supportive and were
there when I needed them.

Sarah, who always loved watching and learning from Sue and Cara debate
SJSU debate

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000 21:36:32 EST Michael Bear Bryant <MWBRYANT at AOL.COM>
writes:
>OK, maybe we should take the time to celebrate the men in debate. I'd
>like to take the time and effort to suggest that we also mention the men
that
>touched our consciousness by their personal efforts against sexism in
debate
>and/or in helping female debaters cope with the male-oriented norms of
the
>debate community.
>
>Let me nominate two men who I have personally witnessed do the most to
>promote the participation of women in debate:
>
>George Ziegelmueller - Wayne State
>Alfred Snider - Vermont
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Bear,