Jan Exec-Sec Rpt, 3 of 4

Greg Simerly simegreg
Thu Jan 13 14:30:07 CST 2000

1999-00 CROSS EXAMINATION DEBATE ASSOCIATION
Ballot for amendments to articles of the Constitution

These amendments passed at the Fall 1999 business meeting.  A mail vote of
the membership is now required.

All are rather innocuous amendments: changing wording and moving things
around.

You may email your vote to me separately at simegreg at isu.edu indicating
that you're voting in favor of or against all of the amendments.  Or you
may reply with this message indicating which amendments you're voting for
and against..  Ballots are due January 21.

ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES
        Section 11: Student Representatives.
                B. The duties of the Student Representatives are to:
                        1. Report the concerns of student debaters to the
Executive Council.
>       2. Oversee the selection process of their committee
members.
>       3. Select two representatives from their committee
to serve on the Topic Selection Committee

Proposed amendment #16:  Delete the word "student" from Article IV
>section 11B1.
>Rationale:  Redundancy.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

>Proposed amendment #17: Delete Article IV section 11B2.
>Rationale:  There are no committee members.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

>Proposed amendment #18:  From Article IV section 11B3, delete
>"representatives from their committee" and replace with "debaters."
>Rationale:  The student representatives on the topic committee can be any
>eligible debater.
                INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

ARTICLE V: NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
>       Section 6. Vacancies, whether occasioned by death, resignation, or
>severance of connection with forensics at the school the individual
>represents, shall be Dealt with as follows.
>                       E. If a vacancy occurs among the regional
representatives, the President will appoint a replacement for the remaining
term of the representative being replaced if the term is less than one
calendar year.  If the term is more than one calendar year, the President
will hold a special election as described Section F of this Article.

>Proposed amendment #22:  Amend Article V section 6E to read:  "If a
>vacancy occurs among the regional representatives, the President will
>either 1) appoint a replacement for the remaining term of the
>representative or 2) call a special election as described in section F of
>this Article."
>Rationale:  To maintain more constant representation on the executive
>council.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

>F. If the President is required to hold a special election by the terms of
this article, he/she, with the advice of the Executive Council, will
nominate at least two individuals to run for the vacant office and
>instruct the Executive Secretary to hold a special election.  The President
may appoint an individual to act as Executive Secretary, Treasurer or
Regional Representative until such time as the newly
>elected person takes office.
>
>Proposed amendment #23:  Replace the word "hold" in the first sentence
>with "call for."  The amended version will read:  F.  If the President is
>required to call for..."
>Rationale:  Grammar.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

>       Section 8. Any vote that results in a tie will be considered to have
>failed and the         President will not vote to break ties
>
>Proposed amendment #26:  Delete Article VII section 8.
>Rationale:  This section is unnecessary because of Article VII section 7.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES
               Section 3. The First Vice President's duties are to:
>               A. Prepare a budget for his/her year as President in
consultation with       the Executive-Secretary and Treasurer;

>Proposed amendment #1:  Delete Article IV Section 3A.
>Rationale:  This is proposed as an addition to the Treasurer's duties
>(Article IV Section 6).
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

Section 4. The Second Vice President's duties are to:
        C.  Serve as the National Communication Association
Convention liaison, which includes scheduling meeting times and
ensuring officers' and regional representatives' names are included
in the program;

>Proposed amendment #2:  Delete "and ensuring officers' and regional
>representatives' names are included in the program."
>Rationale:  This is proposed as an addition to the Exec. Sec. duties
>(Article IV section 5).
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

Article IV section 5E: Executive-Secretary will:
E. Notify the membership of such convention information as meeting
times, hotel facilities and CEDA programs;

>Proposed amendment #5:  Delete Article IV section 5E.
>Rationale:  Proposed as an addition to the second vice president's duties
>(Article IV section 4.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

Section 10. The Executive Council shall:
>               E. by majority vote approve the applications to host
CEDA-approved   tournaments; and

>Proposed amendment #14:  Delete Article IV section 10E.
>Rationale:  This is currently one of the duties of the executive
>secretary.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

By-Law III section 7 Professionalism Committee.
>Proposed amendment #33:  Delete "and the marketing of intercollegiate
>debating."
>
>Rationale:  This is currently being accomplished through the Public
>Relations committee
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

Article IV section 4: Second Vice President's duties are:
>Proposed amendment #3:  Add "I. Notify the membership of such convention
>information as meeting times, hotel facilities and CEDA programs."
>
>Rationale:  To remain consistent with current practices.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

Article IV: Section 5. The Executive Secretary's duties are to:
>               A. Conduct elections for officers of the Association
and on such other matters as the Executive Council may direct;

>Proposed amendment #4:  Add "If the executive secretary's name appears on
>the ballot, the First Vice President will conduct the election."
>Rationale:  To protect the executive secretary and remove personal
>interest from the process.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

Article IV section 4: Exec Sec duties are:
>Proposed amendment #6:  Add "L. To ensure that officers' and regional
>representatives' names are included in the National Communication
>Association Convention Program ."
>Rationale:  To remain consistent with current practices.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

Proposed amendment #7:  Add "M. Accept membership applications to CEDA,
>receive all membership dues and other payments to the Association."
>Rationale:  To remain consistent with current practices.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

>Proposed amendment 8:  Add "L.  Approve the applications to host
>CEDA-sanctioned tournaments."
>Rationale:  Consistent with current practices.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

Article IV section 6. The Treasurer's duties are to:
>               B.  Accept membership applications to CEDA, receive all membership
>               dues and other payments to the Association and pay all expenses of
>               the Association that are authorized by the President or
Executive Council;

>Proposed amendment #9:  Delete "Accept membership applications to CEDA,
>receive all membership dues and other payments to the Association and"
>Rationale:  Proposed as an addition to the executive secretary's duties
>(Article IV section 5).
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

                I. Submit to annual audits; and

>Proposed amendment #10:  Delete "annual" and follow "audits" with "as
>required by the executive council."
>Rationale:  Audits may be needed more or less frequently and their need
>can easily be monitored by the executive council.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

>Proposed amendment #11:  Add "K.  Prepare a budget for his/her year  in
>consultation with the Executive-Secretary and President."
>Rationale:  To meet current practice. INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

Article V Nominations & Elections. Section 5. Officers shall
serve the following terms, commencing June 1 following
their election:  After serving as Second Vice President
for one year, that      individual  becomes First Vice President for one year and
then assumes the        Presidency for one year.  The Executive Secretary
and Treasurer serve for staggered three-year terms.  Members from the
regions on the Executive        Council serve two-year terms.  The regions
of The East, North Central, Rocky       Mountain, Southern California and South
Central shall elect their representatives in even numbered years.

>Proposed amendment #20:  Delete the sentence "The Executive Secretary and
>Treasurer serve for staggered three-year terms."
>Rationale:  Currently this is in conflict with Article V section 6D which
>reads "If the office of Executive Secretary or Treasurer becomes vacant,
>the President will hold a special election as described Section f of this
>Article. The term of the new Executive Secretary or Treasurer will run
>until June 1 of the calendar year three years after the date of the
>election."
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

D. Proxy votes are to be submitted to the President
at the start of each business meeting.  The President will count only
>those proxy ballots that are complete and signed.
>
>Proposed  amendment #25:  Replace the word "president"  each time with
>"Executive Secretary."
>Rationale:  This would be consistent with current practices.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

ARTICLE VIII: AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
        Section 3. Alternative Amendment Procedures for the Constitution and
Bylaws
>               C. Within 45 days of the publication of the proposed amendment, the
>               Executive Secretary will mail a ballot to the membership containing a
>               copy of the proposed amendment, along with a summary of the arguments
>               for and against the amendment.  The author of the amendment will have
>               the opportunity to submit the reasons for the amendment and the
>               President may designate an individual to outline objections to the
>               amendment.  Both of these individuals shall have access to the comments
>               received by the Executive Secretary.  Balloting will cease at midnight
>               30 days after the ballots were distributed.
>
>Proposed amendment #27:  Delete the following "along with a summary of
>the arguments for and against the amendment.  The author of the amendment
>will have the opportunity to submit the reasons for the amendment and the
>President may designate an individual to outline objections to the
>amendment.  Both of these individuals shall have access to the comments
>received by the Executive Secretary."
>Rationale:  This is currently being done via E-debate.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

>                       E. A majority of the Executive Council may vote to
>               exclude the time period from the conclusion of the CEDA National
>               Tournament until July 1 from the time period in items B and C of this
>               Section.
>
>Proposed amendment #28:  Delete Article VII section 3E.
>Rationale:  With E-debate, this is now unnecessary.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES
>       Section 7. Each of the Regional Representatives' duties are to:
>
>Proposed amendment #12:  Add "F.  Facilitate the election for student
>representative to the executive council.  The election should be
>completed by October 1."
>Rationale:  To encourage smooth transition of student representation on
>the council.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

>Proposed amendment #13:  Add "G.  If a regional representative is unable
>to attend an executive council meeting, she or he may appoint a
>substitute with voting privileges from the region.  If no substitute is
>appointed by the regional representative, the president may appoint a
>substitute with voting privileges from the region."
>Rationale:  To ensure regions are represented at the executive council
>meetings.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

ARTICLE IV: OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES
>       Section 11: Student Representatives.
>               B. The duties of the Student Representatives are to:
>                       1. Report the concerns of student debaters to the  Executive Council.
>                       2. Oversee the selection process of their committee members.
>                       3. Select two representatives from their committee
to serve on the Topic Selection Committee

>Proposed amendment #15:  Change B. to read "B.  The duties of the Student
>Representatives Committee are to:
>Rationale:  To indicate that the role of each student representative is
>as a committee member.
        INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

ARTICLE V: NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
 Section 4. No single institution shall be represented on the Executive
>Council by more than one person at a time.
>
>Proposed amendment #19:  Delete Article V section 4.
>Rationale:  Currently, this restricts student representation.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

>Proposed amendment #21:  Add the following to the end of Article V
>section 5:  "The executive council may authorize a special election to
>restore the staggering of terms for regional representatives."
>Rationale:  To provide a method of restoring staggered terms.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

>ARTICLE VII: ANNUAL BUSINESS MEETINGS OF THE ASSOCIATION
>       Section 2. Business meetings shall be held annually at the fall national
>       convention of the National Communication Association and at the
>       Association's National Tournament.  The Executive  Secretary will give
>       members ample notice of the times and places of these meetings.
>
>Proposed amendment #24:  Delete "The Executive  Secretary will give
>members ample notice of the times and places of these meetings."
>Rationale:  This information is provided to the membership in the NCA
>program and the National Tournament schedule.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

 >              Section 3:  Legitimate CEDA related expenses of the officers
of the Association will be reimbursed from the Association's funds.
Travel, lodging and food at National Communication Association
Conventions will not be covered.  Additionally, the President, Executive
Secretary, Treasurer and National Tournament Computer Manager/Operator
will receive annual honoraria in amounts established by the
Executive Council.

>Proposed amendment #30:  Add "and the editor of the association's
>journal" to the final sentence."  The sentence would then read
>"Additionally, the President, Executive Secretary, Treasurer and National
>Tournament Computer Manager/Operator and the editor of the association's
>journal will receive annual honoraria in amounts established by the
>Executive Council."
>Rationale:  This would match current practices.
INDICATE YOUR VOTE HERE:

Greg Simerly
Idaho State University
Executive-Secretary, Cross Examination Debate Association

Communication & Theatre
Box 8115-ISU
Pocatello, Idaho 83209

O (208) 236-5962