Soros' Goals

Gary Leff gleff
Mon Jan 31 15:49:54 CST 2000

Since noone has yet taken a bite at this one, I will.

The Soros quote below lacks tact, perhaps, saying international institutions
ought to pull aid because it doesn't influence events.

Of course, the only reason to give is to influence events in one way or
another -- whether that influence is political or affecting the lives of
individual people directly.  That is, one wouldn't take an action unless
they expect that action to have a consequence.

International aid to Russia has not been positive.  At best it has been
squandered.  At worst it has forestalled necessary reforms.

We know more than we often admit about what makes economies better off.  We
know LESS than we often admit HOW to make economies better off.  It's the
difference between know THAT and know HOW.

Russia needs institutions of civil society that respect the rule of law,
private property, etc.  We do not have the slightest clue how to create
those.  They have to come indigenously.  What they do NOT need are loans.
What they do NOT need is to continually churn the printing press.

We'd be better off walking away from the aid and not causing any more
damage.. and not trying to influence them.  And why provoke their hatred,
either?