Web Page Launch!

Doyle W Srader doyle
Tue Jan 25 23:53:37 CST 2000

Folks.

You're all so earnest, sometimes. I'm shaking my head at all the people who
are trying to engage in dialogue with Gene-Mean-Babble-Machine, and whoever
the other shmo is. These are adolescents acting out. It makes no difference
if they turn out to be high school students, college students, or gray
panthers. This is childishness. And you can choose either to fuel it or to
extinguish it. So far, it's been mostly high octane.

Not that I'm saying we need to hush up, or drop the subject. Several folks
have noted that this evening's events have dropped the ongoing challenge of
recognizing and ravelling sexism in our community squarely before us. We
certainly have a lot to talk about. Why do we have to invite these two punks
to the conversation? If sometime later a grain of sense descends on them and
they think up something constructive to say, that'll change matters. But
this pretense that you can get somewhere, that they're opening themselves to
correction or committing to honest exchange, really needs to go.

Doyle Srader
Lecturer, Speech Communication
Stephen F. Austin State University
http://www.netdot.com/doyle/