The death of CEDA in Arkansas and Louisiana

Maxwell Schnurer masst188+
Sun Jan 30 23:23:56 CST 2000

        I have been considering similar (non-scientific) evidence.  I
believe that the last year or so has created a number of
"supertournaments" (named so because they are both wonderful and large).
These supertournaments (West GA, NU, Wake, KY) have over a hundred teams
entered and occasionally have to turn folks away.  I'm curious what people
think about the impact these tournaments are having on smaller local
tourneys?

        PRE-EMPT:  This is not in any way to attack these tourneys --
(except West GA because Hester is in it for the money. . .).  Pitt attends
these big tourneys too.  My interest is exploring the negative implication
on smaller tourneys.  i don't want to attack people for going to certain
tournaments.  I mostly want to talk about this . . .

        Potential Negatives:
1. Smaller tournaments lose entrants because folks want to travel to the
big "show".
2. Deters folks from hosting tournaments on the same dates as the big
tourneys.
3.  Fewer local tournament options means that schools with smaller budgets
can travel fewer teams & go to fewer tournaments.
4.  "regional tournaments" wind up getting JV & novice teams while the
Varsity teams travel to the big tourneys.   On weekends where big &
regional tourneys coincide squads will have to choose one or the other
(limited $ or coaches).  This hurts either novice/jv teams or varsity
teams.

        Potential Positives:
1.  Great competetion at these "national" tournaments.
2.  Creates a second level of competition that creates a diversity of
options for debate squads.
3. Creates a predictable "national" travel circuit for varsity debaters.

        Other issues:

1.  Is this a new phenomenon.  When I debated there was a clear "national"
circuit that included USC, UMKC, KState, Central Oklahoma, etc.  Maybe
this is just a natural outgrowth of the best competition?

2.  Are there enough regional opportunities?  Novice/JV opportunities?

        I don't know.  My initial feeling is that we are losing tourneys
that provided valuable regional debate opportunities . . . what do y'all
think?

        Maxwell

King Maxwell's Radical Resources: http://www.pitt.edu/~masst188/