[eDebate] Sept. 28 & 29 Rochester Invite

Samnelson4 at aol.com Samnelson4
Sun Sep 8 11:41:57 CDT 2002

Dear Friends:

 ? ? The University of Rochester Debate Union is pleased to invite you to the 2002 Brad Smith Debate Tournament on Saturday September 28 and Sunday, September 29. The tournament is named to honor Brad Smith, former Rochester librarian who for the last ten years has volunteered to help teach Rochester students how to research, write arguments, and debate. Brad will be judging at the tournament. Additionally, some special awards will be presented to top women debaters at the tournament in honor of ?Pam Stepp, the former Cornell coach who did so much to promote debate in the East and throughout the U.S.

 ? ? The tournament will be ADA, CEDA, and SAMBA sanctioned. We will offer six rounds of policy debate on the 2002 CEDA resolution. The time limits will be 9-3-6 with ten minutes preparation time. We will have only two divisions this year: open and novice. There will be no JV division. The new ADA rule counting Lincoln-Douglas experience against novice elgibility will be used.

 ? ? Enclosed you will find all the necessary information for registration and lodging. Additionally I will soon post a tentative schedule. If you have any questions, please call (585) 273-5223 or email me at Samnelson4 at aoil.com. The Univeristy of Rochester hopes to see you at this year's tournament in beautiful upstate New York.

Entries: The entry deadline is Tuesday, September 24 at 6:00 pm Eastern Time. Entries are preferred by e-mail to Samnelson4 at aol.com. You may also enter by calling Sam Nelson at (585) 273-5223. It is acceptable to leave your entry on the answering machine.

Entry Fees: The fees are $75 per two person team. The fees will cover awards, breakfast on both days, as well as lunch on Saturday. There will be $150 fee per uncovered judge. Hired judges are limited, so we would prefer your judges over your money. Also, if you have extra judging, let us know as we may be willing to hire your extra critics. There will be a $50 fee for each change reported the day of the tournament. Please make all checks payable to Sam Nelson.

Hotel Information: The tournament hotel is the Econo Lodge on Jefferson Road. It is conveniently located near many eateries. There is a Kinkos located directly across the street. The hotel is charging a special low rate for those mentioning the debate tournament. The phone number is (585) 427-2700. Call after September 10 and before September 15 for best results.

Sexual Harrassment: The University of Rochester will uphold the principle of debate in an atmosphere of civility and mutual respect. All our guests should be treated fairly without regard to race, creed, age, sex, natural origin, and sexual preference. Any incidences of harassment or discrimination should be reported to the tournament staff immmediately.

The tentative schedule will be posted shortly.