[eDebate] My debate website experience

Thu Sep 12 16:50:37 CDT 2002

to Snider:
  i wasn't 'diagnosing your motives', Tuna, i was asking what possible
reason there could be for a commercial debate website to not file as
non-profit organization, look for other means of funding, and provide all
materials to debaters free-of-charge? in short, why aren't others in debate
following your lead?

the only reason i could come up with (which appears so obvious as to be
banal) is that there's lots more money to be made in commericiality, and
perhaps going non-profit would break Harvard debate. and yet Peter McCollum
suggests that Dallas and Sherry aren't making that much money anyway, so i'm
all around perplexed.

in any case, i'd like to say that if we had more Alfred Sniders in the
world, i doubt i'd have any 'disputes' (which are really just questions that
no one seems to want to answer). ... (aside: is there anything you would
like me to write about specifically, Tuna?)

to McCollum, who writes:
"I laugh a little everytime I see someone ranting about the capitalist evils
of Dallas' program when they actually know nothing about it."

well that's why i'm trying to learn more about it, Peter, and i leave the
anti-capitalist rants to SLF (which does a fine job). i'm just asking very
specific questions, about pricing, budgetary percentages, copyrights, etc.
that i think potential customers and members of this forum might be
interested to know. (as Kuswa noted in my questions directed at UTNIF, i'm
also providing *free advertising*, seeing as i constantly mention
www.PLANETDEBATE.com (though i admit i wish it were an '.org' instead).)

so clear this up for me, cuz i'm a little confused: Planetdebate is a
not-for-profit subset of Harvard, Inc.? who determines the salaries of
Dallas, Sherry, and yourself? and in your assessment, if Planet Debate chose
to make their evidence and other resources openly-accesible to all debaters,
would this spell the end of Harvard debate, or might alternative means of
funding prove successful?

i thank you for the courtesy in shedding some light on these questions, and
my hope is that Dallas Perkins will act in kind.

     :k

p.s:  Duane Hyland ... is there a Duane Hyland out there? ... you've got a
telephone call from Joseph McCarthy on line one, and i think you better take
it ... sounds important. ;-)