[eDebate] to the SLF

Cyborg Misfits sadist
Wed Sep 18 05:12:16 CDT 2002

A message from the City of Golgonooza

apparatus  circulates mean-intensity currents around its core in
concentrically expansionist loops, each of which is indifferently a line of
defense and a line of attack. Furthermore, the question as to whether this
?fin de siecle air-conditioned totalitarianism? (Lyotard, _Derive a partir
de Marx et Freud_, no English translation, 1973) can be conceived in terms
of regulated/regulating loops is at least a moot point; for this reason ,
Lyotard introduces a model of the cybersocius, this time a model that
constitutes a ?theoretical object capable of corresponding to [capital?s]
liquefactions? (Lyotard, _Des dispositifs pulsionels_ no English
translation, 1994). Hence the ?tungsten-carbide stomach that eats your
words your images Critique even hate are incorporated? (Lyotard 1973).
Unlike the system-event pair, this model does not offer a propriety and
negatively regulated system on the one hand; rather critiques forms the
pale shadow of the omnoivous/indifferentist system?s next meal, and will
inevitably result then in just one more fecal, indentitarian alloy, while
simultaneously offering the system new territories to consume. ?This is the
strength of the capitalist system,? Lyotard writes, ?Its capacity for
recuperating anything and everything (Lyotard 1973) Apart from the
anti-isolationist mode of operation, the steel gut retains two further
advantages: In the first place, critique is rendered an accurately futile
exercise-- ?the despair of the M-C-M [cycle]? (Lyotard 1973)-- unless the
critic is viewed as the hapless vanguard laborer working to cultivate new
territories for the system; second, the system now regulates itself in
expansion, seizing the alleged ?initiative? from earlier
?critico-practical? orientations (lyotard 1973) and overcoming the
strategic and tactical deficit of re-action, re-sistence, and fighting
rear-guard actions to re-establish homeostasis.
Now the other argument is that we are somehow making a divide between
action and critique (as if that was ever possible). As kant teaches us,
"police action=critique" (Kant, Critiuqe of Pure Reason, trans. N. K.
Smith, 1958, Bxxv).

~Alethe