[eDebate] ans Chand

Dheeraj Chand disciplineandpunish
Thu Sep 26 15:36:07 CDT 2002

Dear Michael -

The reason that I asked about right-wing libertarianism is because I am
currently auditing a graduate class on Hegel's, "Philosophy of Right",
and I was curious about the philosophical assumptions implicit in the
political philosophy of libertarianism as understood outside the
Hegelian framework. Under this framework, what are called simply
"Libertarians" would most likely be what Hegelians would call "Right
Libertarians", i.e. classical or neo-classical liberals in the British
tradition.

Nozick, I am quite familiar with. You are correct in asserting that
"Anarchy, State, Utopia" is required reading for anyone seeking to do
work in political philosophy. Conversely, so is Rawls' canon. Both of
them are essential reading if nothing else because of their incredible
influence on the field.

Heinlen is also fascinating, but he seems to have a little bit too much
of anarcho-syndicalist, communitarian sympathy to fall into what I
understand American Libertarianism to be about. I really enjoy his work,
and would like someone to explain to me how his work supports American
Libertarianism.

Regarding Rand, the reason that I requested Randians not to reply is
because I am already intimately familiar with their political canon and
understandings. My reseach assignment in high school for four years was
"Objectivisim" and "AT: Objectivism", so I have all of their stuff down
cold. And the reason that those whom you label "Leftists" dismiss Rand
has very little to do with any form of sexism or knee-jerk reaction to
right-wing politics. It has more to do with the method and integrity of
her philosophical training and work (The jackass never read the entirety
of Plato or Kant, for god's sake, and yet felt comfortable labelling
them the two most evil people in history - and her understanding of
Aristotle is ridiculous.), the ridiculous cult of personality that she
built around herself, her ridiculous portrayal of the role of women in
sexuality as rape victims waiting for the rape to occur, the plagiarism
and pastiche of thoughts from various authors through history, etc.
Remember that even the very haven of "liberalism", "Pinko-ism", or
whatever it is you call academia, HARVARD, saw fit to grant ROBERT
NOZICK their highest rank, University Professor. Nice try at argument by
ad hominem, but from one policy debater to another, "NO LINK".

Furthermore, I resent your labelling of me as a "Tard". I asked an
open-ended, academic question in good faith. I recieved an answer in
good faith from Phil Kerpen and more jocular response from Matt Schiros.
If Schiros can find it within himself to be civil, why can't you? I
don't pretend to be brilliant, but I know that I'm no moron. I also know
that I'm not at all similar to Kevin Sanchez, the other person whom you
single out as worthy of receving this name. This name calling on your
part is nothing more than the same kind of crass incivility and
immaturity in academia which disgusts me. Way to go.

To those who responded for my call for information, thank you.

-dx