[eDebate] neal! i said NEAL, punk!

travis neal travisneal
Sun Sep 29 19:41:08 CDT 2002

Funny subject line, I had never heard that one before.  :t  Despite my
sarcasm, I did find  it humorous.

I fail to see why these pre-round agreements can't constitute the discussion
the debaters want to engage in but are prohibited by ballots endorsement of
the resolution.  This activity is only a small forum relative to all the
other forums exisiting or waiting to be created.  I will admit that when I
participate in the topic process (whether it be actively or tacitly) I want
it to be adhered to.  Call me conservative, but I value those facets of it
Josh illustrated in previous posts (please don't call me conservative, even
if it is true.)

I do have an issue wiht this pre-round agreement disclosure remedy.  I
forsee a world where I am in the back of the room and the affirmative team
runs an affirmative clearly off-topic and the negative argues topicality.
The affirmative claims they had a pre-round agreement about this
affirmative.  The negative, obviously disagrees.  What do I do?  Who is
lieing?  Who is mistaken?  There are so many ways for this pre-round
agreement of yours to break down in the actual round, that I fear we return
to the world we have now.  Very similar to the notion of how does one
enforce treaties.

I am willing to entertain and even vote for some criticisms of topicality,
despite my wishes that likewise.

Travis Neal
U. North Texas