[eDebate] NIU INVITE

John Butler TM0JRB1
Thu Sep 4 17:50:28 CDT 2003

NORTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY TOURNAMENT INVITE

Dear Colleagues:

On behalf of NIU Forensics and the Department of Communication at
Northern Illinois University, we cordially invite you to the M. Jack
Parker Invitational Debate Tournament to be held on Friday, Saturday,
and Sunday, October 10, 11, and 12, 2003.

The tournament will consist of six rounds of CEDA NDT debate and an
appropriate number of elimination rounds, in two divisions: Novice and
Open.  Novice eligibility will be determined by the standards set by
CEDA.

Times are 9/6/3 for Open and 8/5/3 for Novice (8 prep for all).  Awards
will be presented to the top five speakers of each division, and to all
teams in elimination rounds.  All specific policies and procedures (such
as how we intend to break ties) will be outlined in the tournament
literature, to be distributed at registration.

Registration and entry fees are $45.00 per team.  The standard one
judge per two teams is required.  A fee of $60.00 will be requested for
each uncovered novice team; $90.00 per uncovered open team.  Please
inform us as soon as possible if you plan to pay for judging to cover
for teams entered.  All judges are required to be available the first
elimination round, and/or one round after their team has been
eliminated.

A continental breakfast will be provided Saturday and Sunday morning.

We request that you enter no later than Wednesday, October 8th at
5:00PM, using one of the following methods:

U.S. Mail:
John Butler, Director of Forensics
Department of Communication
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115

Electronic Mail:
butler at niu.edu

Fax Machine:
815 753 7109

Telephone:
815 753 7101.  Please leave detailed information, including the need to
hire judges, on the voice mail.

We have arranged a block of rooms at the Best Western DeKalb Inn and
Suites.  These rooms may be reserved for Thursday, Friday and Saturday
evening.  Please do not wait to reserve rooms.  The block is under NIU
Debate. The phone number is 815-758-8661.  The Best Western will release
these rooms to the public as of Friday, SEPTEMBER 27th.  The rate per
room is $55.00, for up to 4 people per room.  Our contact person, if you
have problems reserving a room, is Cindy Meeks, Director of Sales and
Marketing (815-787-4004).

The Best Western is located about three blocks South/West of campus
(1212 W. Lincoln Hwy., in DeKalb).   For a campus, walking location,
some of our regular guests choose to stay in the Holmes Student Center
(815-753-1444).  This is typically the same price as the Best Western,
approximately $55.00 per night; BUT, the rooms in the Student Center
sleep only two people (you might arrange for a roll-away bed for a
third, but this is not always possible).

If these locations do not work, please try one of the following ...

In DeKalb (all just off the South/West corner of campus):

Baymont Inn (new): 815-748-4800
1314 W. Lincoln Hwy., in DeKalb

Super 8 Motel: 815-748-4688
800 W. Fairview, in DeKalb

Howard Johnson: 815-756-1451
1321 W. Lincoln Hwy., in DeKalb

In Sycamore (a five minute drive to campus):

Country Inn and Suites: 815-895-8686
1450 S. Peace Road, in Sycamore

Amerihost: 815-895-4979
1475 S. Peace Road, in Sycamore

Holiday Inn Express: 815-748-7400
1935 DeKalb Ave., in Sycamore

If you experience any difficulty arranging your stay, please contact us
for assistance (815-753-7101).  Please feel free to provide your
students with my cell phone number in case any problems arise while on
campus: 815 540 7071

Sincerely,

John Butler, Ph.D.
Director of Forensics

Rebecca Shook
Assistant Coach of Debate

Stefanie Epifanio
Assistant Coach of Debate

Nicole Carreno
President, NIU Forensics

SCHEDULE

Friday, October 10, 2003

1:30 PM   3:00 PM	Registration, Front Lobby, DuSable Hall
4:00 PM   	Round I
6:00 PM   	Round II

Saturday, October 11, 2003

8:00 AM  		Continental Breakfast, DuSable Hall
9:00 AM  		Round III
11:00 AM  	Round IV

1:00 PM  		Lunch Break
2:30 PM  		Round V
4:30 PM  		Round VI

Sunday, October 12, 2003

8:00 AM		Continental Breakfast, DuSable Hall
9:00 AM		First Policy Break Round Begins
11:00 AM		Second Policy Break Round Begins
1:00 PM		Third Policy Break Round Begins
3:00 PM		Final Policy Break Round Begins (if necessary)