[eDebate] ISU seeks debate grad assistant!

Zompetti at aol.com Zompetti
Fri Sep 19 14:22:19 CDT 2003

Illinois State University is rejuvenating its CEDA/NDT policy debate program.  Our mission is to encourage and recruit women, students of color and other marginalized populations to debate at ISU.  We feel strongly that certain individuals are routinely denied access to collegiate debate opportunities, and as such, we are rebuilding the program to fit their needs.

As we embark on this new endeavor, we also are excited about having a Graduate Assistant position to help coach debate.  Responsibilities will include traveling to tournaments, helping with research assignments, recruiting high school debaters, etc.  There are also opportunities to teach in the department while you are here.

ISU has one of the finest graduate communication departments in the country.  If you're looking for a place to study and coach after you graduate, please contact ISU's Director of Forensics, Joseph Zompetti, at 309.438.3277, or via email, at jpzompe at ilstu.edu.   If you're definitely interested in applying to ISU, you should read the information below and contact Dr. Mark Comadena, our director of graduate programs.  The DEADLINE for application submissions will be January 15, 2004.

Master?s Degree in Communication
Illinois State University

Program Philosophy & Curriculum

The Department of Communication at Illinois State University approaches the study of human communication from both humanistic and social scientific perspectives and offers a general master?s degree that stresses the application of communication theory and research in a wide range of social contexts.  The curriculum includes twenty-two graduate seminars that examine a wide range of topics in the study of human communication, including interpersonal communication, small group communication, mass communication, persuasion, intercultural communication, organizational communication, public relations, training & development, and qualitative communication research.  With only two required courses, students are afforded a great deal of freedom to develop plans of study that meet their personal and professional needs.  Students may choose either a thesis or a 39-hour option to complete the degree.

Career Options

Program graduates pursue careers in such areas as public relations, marketing, advertising, promotions, media management, media relations, community relations, human relations training & development, and college teaching.  Many graduates go on to complete Ph.D. degrees in communication.

Admission Requirements

To be admitted to the program, students must have either a minimum GPA of 3.00 over the last 60 hours of their undergraduate degree, or a combined score of 1,000 on the verbal and quantitative portions of the GRE. International students are additionally required to submit a minimum score of 600 on the TOEFL. All applicants must submit a letter of application that describes his or her background, interests, and objectives and arrange to have three letters of recommendation forwarded to the department.  To ensure full consideration for fall admission, application materials must be received by February 15, 2004.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are available to qualified individuals.  Graduate assistants are trained to teach an introductory course in communication and/or to perform other services for the department.  The assistantship carries a full tuition waiver and a monthly stipend of $878.  The Department will have approximately 18 graduate assistantships open for the 2004 fall semester.  Students interested in graduate assistantships must with their assistantship applicant one- to two-page narrative that describes their philosophy of teaching and learning.  Tuition waivers are also available.

For More Information

Please visit the Department of Communication web site for additional information on program options and seminar descriptions: www.communication.ilstu.edu.  Admission and assistantship/tuition waiver applications may be obtained at the Graduate School website: www.grad.ilstu.edu.

Send Correspondence To

Dr. Mark E. Comadena
Graduate Program Director
Department of Communication