[eDebate] Wow.....wow........wow: ans Hyland

Terrance Shuman tshuman
Fri Sep 12 15:38:41 CDT 2003

De-cloaking again, briefly...

At 10:27 AM 9/12/2003 -0700, Duane Hyland wrote:

>The Bush administration, with that comment regarding the prisoners in Cuba
>has just about lost it's mind, and it's definitely lost my support.

With all due respect, Duane, why is that?  What, precisely, is "insane"
about keeping those folks in custody?  As Rumsfeld put it (in a quote NOT
given in the original post here, big surprise):  "Rumsfeld said the 660 or
so men held at the Guantanamo Bay naval base are imprisoned not as
punishment but 'to keep them from going back and fighting again and killing
people.' "   The lawyers who are referenced in the story as talking about
our tradition of an open and transparent judicial process are operating on
the assumption that the people being held in Gitmo are criminals.  (Well,
actually, they don't care about that, or about our legal traditions...they
just want to criticize the Bush administration.)  Is that your sense of
it?  Non-citizen terrorists should be covered by the Bill of
Rights?  There's already been an Appeals Court ruling on that one.  Are
they "insane" as well?

It's fine by me if you want to become a conservative Democrat, or
whatever.  It's a free country (no thanks to the detainees at Gitmo).  But
please don't blame our treatment of terrorists during wartime for your
decision...

Solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and...well, not so tall as I used to be...

Terrance Shuman
Bishop LeBlond Memorial High School
St. Joseph, Missouri