[eDebate] WVU tournament will have all 3 divisions

BERCHNORTO at aol.com BERCHNORTO
Sat Jan 10 16:21:49 CST 2004

Hi, everyone!  We've now gotten enough varsity entries that I'm pretty
confident we'll be able to run a varsity division (we've got 2 varsity entries each
from Towson and Case Western).  Early entry estimates appreciated for all
divisions.  Here's the invite again.  Please note hotel deadline is January 22.
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University

September 30, 2003
Dear Friends and Colleagues:
On behalf of the West Virginia University Debate team, I am pleased to invite
you to the fourth annual John A. Jacobsohn Memorial Mountaineer Classic
Debates, to be held in Morgantown, February 6-8, 2004. The tournament,
sponsored
by WVU's Eberly College of Arts, will be sanctioned by CEDA, ADA, and SAMBA.
As indicated, the tournament will honor the memory of our late colleague John
Jacobsohn. The Sunday awards ceremony will feature the presentation of the
4th
annual Jacobsohn award to a member of the debate community who has also done
significant public service. We expect to be joined at the ceremony by
Professor Jacobsohn's family.
We will hold 6 preliminary rounds of debate in each division, followed by the
appropriate number of elimination rounds. We will clear up to half of the
teams in each division. In the unlikely event that it is necessary to hold
partial double octafinals, we will do so on Saturday night. Since this is the
same
weekend as Northwestern, we had not intended to have a varsity division.
However, a number of schools have expressed interest in a varsity division,
so we
will give it a try. If we have 8 firm entries at the entry deadline, we will
run the division (and probably add one or two WVU teams who would not be
allowed to clear). Under no circumstances will we collapse varsity and JV. We
also may consider alternative arrangements for varsity prelims, as
appropriate.
These may include pods, 6 presets, and/or allowing teams to meet twice (on
different sides) during prelims. We will consult as necessary with affected
parties.
The resolution will be this year's national policy debate resolution, and the
time limits will be 9-3-6, with ten minutes of preparation time for each
side. Rounds one and two will be pre-set. Rounds three through six will be
power
matched (none will be lagged). We will operate under the rules of the ADA, a
copy of which may be obtained upon request. The WVU debate team supports
CEDA's sexual harassment policy, and we will enforce it.
Eligibility for junior varsity and novice divisions will be as determined by
the ADA rules. Hybrid teams are eligible to participate, and they will be
eligible to qualify for elimination rounds.
Awards will be given to the top eight teams in the novice and junior varsity
divisions, as well as the top four teams in varsity, and to the top 10
speakers in the novice and junior varsity divisions, and the top three
speakers in
varsity. Ties between teams will be broken on the basis of:
1. adjusted points
2. total points
3. opponent wins
4. coin flip
Speaker awards will be based upon adjusted points. Ties will be broken by:
1. total points
2. judge variance
Special awards will be presented to:
1) the school that wins the most debates during preliminary rounds;
2) the school that is not ranked in the NDT top 50 as of February 1, 2004
winning the most debates during preliminary rounds;
3) the novice speaker with the highest speaker points in her/his first or
second lifetime debate tournament (the "Best Newcomer" Award);
4) the highest ranked JV team where both members have remaining novice
eligibility (the "Movin' On Up" award); if there is no such team, the award
will go
to the highest ranked varsity team where both members have remaining jv
eligibility.
5) the judge whose written ballots are deemed by the tab room staff to be the
most educational (the Neil Butt Award).
Judges: Each school is responsible for providing a qualified judge for each
one or two teams entered in the tournament. A judge will be responsible for
covering three preliminary rounds for each team entered. All judges are
required to judge through the quarter final round or one round after your
last team
is eliminated, whichever occurs
later. A VERY LIMITED number of judges will be available for hire at $100
per uncovered team. If you need to hire judges, please enter early! Unless we
have an unexpectedly small entry, we will use a mutually preferred judging
system. All preferences received prior to round 1 will go into effect for
round 3.
Entries: Please send your entries by 4:00 PM on Tuesday, February 3, 2004.
It is likely that we will use the Bruschke entry system, but we still need to
finalize that. TOURNAMENT ENTRY IS FREE FOR ALL TEAMS (though we reserve the
right to charge a nuisance fee of $50 for voluminous late drops), but we will
still provide a variety of amenities, including dinner between rounds 1 and 2
on Friday night, lunch between rounds 3 and 4 on Saturday, lunch after the
awards ceremony on Sunday, a hospitality room with healthy and less-healthy
snacks, awards, a Saturday night bowling tournament (with one lucky recipient
to be
chosen for the Maxwell Schnurer Bowling Award), and a reception for coaches
on Friday night.
Entries may be sent by telephone (304-293-3811, ext. 5290), fax
(304-293-8644, or e-mail (<A HREF="mailto:nberch at wvu.edu%3FSubject=Re:%20%5BeDebate%5D%20WVU%20Tournament--free%20entries!%26In-Reply-To=118.2981e403.2cab3f51 at aol.com">nberch at wvu.edu</A> or <A HREF="mailto:berchnorto at aol.com%3FSubject=Re:%20%5BeDebate%5D%20WVU%20Tournament--free%20entries!%26In-Reply-To=118.2981e403.2cab3f51 at aol.com">berchnorto at aol.com</A>). We would be
especially
appreciative of early entry estimates.
The tournament hotel will be the Hampton Inn of Morgantown. Pairings will be
distributed there on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and the Friday night
reception for coaches will take place there as well. Our block has a flat
rate of
$60 for up to 4 people, with continental breakfast included. The direct
number for the Hampton Inn is 304-599-1200, or you may use the national
reservations number (1-800-Hampton). Please use the code for our block (EAS).
If you
run into problems, our contact at the hotel is Christina Gnagey.  The
deadline for
the block is January 22.
Schedule (and please note that we will vigorously enforce the 15 minute
forfeit rule. Please also note that we are attempting to operate on more
college
student-friendly hours):
Friday, February 6:
3:30 PM-4:30 PM: Registration on the 3rd floor of Woodburn Hall (the
building with the clock). Most business will already have been done via
email.
5:00 Opening meeting
5:30 Round 1
7:45 Dinner break (sandwiches, probably from Subway)
8:15 Round 2
11:00 Reception for Coaches and Judges at the Hampton Inn
Saturday, February 7:
8:30 Round 3 pairings available at Hampton Inn and at Woodburn Hall
10:00 Round 3
12:00 lunch-probably pizza
1:15 Round 4
4:00 Round 5
6:00 Dinner on your own (please note the Food Court in the Mountainlair just
across the street from the tournament rooms. It features a burger place, a
Sbarro's, a sandwich shop, and a Chinese fast food establishment).
6:45 Round 6
10:00 Bowling Party in Mountainlair
Sunday, February 8:
7:30 Elimination round pairings released at Hampton Inn and Woodburn Hall.
8:30 First elimination round
10:45 Awards Ceremony
11:30 Lunch-probably sandwiches, chips, etc.
12:45 Second elimination round
3:30 Third elimination round
6:00 Fourth elimination round if needed.
Morgantown is easily accessible by Interstate 68 from the East, and by
Interstate 79 from the North and South. The hills of West Virginia are
beautiful
any time of the year, but they are especially pretty in February (really!).
We
hope to see many of you, and we look forward to returning the hospitality
that
many of you have shown us these past several years.
Sincerely,
Neil Berch
Associate Professor of Political Science
and Debate Coach
on behalf of the WVU Debate Team
DIRECTIONS TO THE HAMPTON INN
>From I-79 North: Take exit 155, Star City. Stay in the right lane after you
leave the ramp, and bear right at the traffic light. You will cross a bridge
and travel through a traffic light. As you reach the top of the hill, you
will come to another traffic light. Make a left at that light (on to Patteson
Drive). Travel through 2 more traffic lights, and continue until you see the
Hampton Inn on your left (just as you come around a bend).
>From I-79 South: Take exit 155, Star City. Make a left at the end of the
ramp. Get in the right lane, and bear right at the traffic light. You will
cross a bridge and travel through a traffic light. As you reach the top of
the
hill, you will come to another traffic light. Make a left at that light (on
Patteson Drive). Travel through 2 more traffic lights, and continue until
you see the Hampton Inn on your left (just as you come around a bend).
>From I-68 West: Take exit 7, Pierpont Road, and turn right. Follow for
about a mile, and turn left on to 119 South. At the second light, turn right.
Continue to the 5th light and turn left on to Van Voorhis Road. The Hampton
Inn
is about a half mile on your right.
To the Mountainlair from Hampton Inn
Turn RIGHT out of Hampton Inn
Take LEFT at the first stop light
Continue straight through light, pass McDonald's (will be on road a little
bit)
Go STRAIGHT through light at four way intersection, pass large new building
and around a loop;
Turn LEFT at 2nd light (Spruce Street) after loop (you will have gone about
1.8 miles from the Hampton Inn by then)
At stop sign, turn LEFT
At stop sign, turn RIGHT (High Street)
Take immediate LEFT
Park in Area 3 of Mountainlair Garage (furthest entrance)
On Friday, you may park in lot 3 in the Mountainlair Garage. WVU debaters
will be at the entrance with parking permits. They will also direct you to
Woodburn Hall, the tournament headquarters (about a block and a half from the
parking area). Please allow a reasonable time to get to Woodburn, as Friday
afternoon traffic in Morgantown is surprisingly heavy. After 5pm on Friday,
you
may park in spaces behind Woodburn that are not designated as reserved or
handicapped. On Saturday and Sunday, parking in lot 3 is free, and you may
also
fight each other for the free (not reserved or handicapped) spaces behind
Woodburn.