[eDebate] NDT scouting rules and request for Scouting Directors

SSbauschard2 at aol.com SSbauschard2
Tue Jan 13 23:09:46 CST 2004

Hi all,

As Cate posted earlier, a number of important changes have been made to the
NDT standing rules.  One of the more substantial changes involves the creation
of a scouting system.  The section of the amended rules is provided below.

I am working on a full outline of how the system will work, but basically
trained scouts who will have special priveleges, and will hopefully be provided
by schools attending the NDT, will submit extensive scouting information to two
scouting directors. The scouting directors will supervise the scouts,
organize the material, and publish it to the web immediately after each round.  If
every cooperates, we should be able to get the material posted to a website from
the previous round before the next round begins.

At this point we (Glenn Frappier and I are co-directors and  sole "scouting
commitee members") who are looking for two coaches who are interested in
serving as scouting directors.

Their jobs include:

1.  Helping to train the scouts prior to the tournament.
2.  Supervising the scouts to make sure they are following the rules.  Scout
directors could remove someone's "scout badge" if the scout proves to be
problematic.
3.  Organize the materials submitted by the scouts and post it to the web as
soon as-is practically possible.

In exchange, the scouting directors will be released from their four round
judging obligation.  Additional release time (f you have a large commitment) is
negotiable.

In order to reduce interference with coaching -- we imagine scouting
directors will want to coach their teams -- we envision a system where the scouts are
automatically assigned by room to scout debates so scouting directors (and
scouts) will be free to assist their teams from the moment the pairing is read
until the scheduled start of the debate.  From the scheduled start of the debate
until the time the next pairing is read we expect the scouting directors to
be fully-engaged in assisting with scouting and publication of the material on
the web.

I realize the full parameters of the job and how the system will precisely
function are a little ill-defined at the moment, but those details are being
developed and will be discussed at the NDT meeting at Northwestern.  Since we
think the potential scouting directors would like some input in the specifics, we
thought  now would be a good time to see if anyone was interested.

Thanks, Stefan

____________________________
5. Scouting.
The committee has instituted a new scouting procedure in response to
community demand. Basically, the committee decided to centralize
scouting, so that all schools had access to information and to limit the
amount of post- and pre-round disruption. Designated scounts
will be trained to be as least disruptive as possible. Those not
participating in the collective scouting pool will simply be designated
as
observers, and will need to abide by the existing rules concerning
scounting passed a few years back. The exact changes are below.

Rule IV.F.6 has been amended -- with wording changes to (c) and (d)
added to rule 6.

6. Tournament disclosure, scouting, and observers

c. Observer Guidelines.
(1) Prior to the announcement of the decision in the debate, observers
should collect their information exclusively from the posted
disclosure sheets or from direct observation of the debate.
(2) Observers should not interrupt pre-round preparation by asking
questions of either team.
(3) Observers should not intrude during the debate by reading evidence
or the 1AC. This includes the cross-examination periods.
(4) After the debate, observers should not attempt to read evidence
until all three judges have voted and all tournament scouts have had
the opportunity to collect information. Observers should not interrupt
post-debate discussions.
(5) After the post-round discussion the observers should expect no more
than a ten minute period in which they can inspect evidence for
citations from the debate. Neither scouts nor observers should copy
entire pieces of evidence, either by hand or electronically.

d) The NDT committee shall appoint scouting co-directors(who are
released from judging requirements), who shall continuously
make available to the tournament participants the information gathered,
and train and direct official scouts who shall:
1) complete pre-tournament scouting training and abide by the rules and
guidelines established for scouts
2) deliver to the scouting directors the information gathered
immediately after the round
3) Have the authority to gather information in ways that do not disrupt
the debate process as directed by the scouting directors
4) Debaters are required to provide evidence they have read only to
judges, opponents, and official scouts who request it.