[eDebate] michael moore endorsement letter

Jack Stroube stroube
Fri Jan 16 20:57:06 CST 2004

i think mr. moore made several challenges to the proliferation of
guns.  he seemingly linked littleton colorado to the defense industry
and the clinton declaration of the most devastating bombing campaign
in history against iraq the morning of columbine.   his endorsement of
clark includes international "gun control" or military scalebacks.

explicitly, moore challenges heston's staged NRA public appearances
immediately after columbine in littleton and then the one in michigan
after the shooting by a 7 year old or whoever the young person was.
moore's question is: can't you sacrifice your gun happy quest for one
second and respect these communities that have been ravaged by
murders?   i think the sentimental moore characterizes himself as a
right to bear arms guy who has been molded into gun control ideas by
experiences like columbine that led him to successfully protest the
sale of ammunition at target.   moore might endorse hunting but i
don't think he is on the private militia w semi-automatic weaponry
bandwagon like you portray.   i think he is showing why canadians are
not drawn the violent extremism that americans are.   gun control is
not necessary in canada b/c columbine doesn't happen in canada
followed by a visit from charlton heston to your hometown to rub it in
your face that a free market on weapons is a good thing.

the main thing is that michael moore is a fucking cock for leaving out
the fact of heston's alzheimer's from his so-called "documentary".
the scene at the end with him hoisting a picture of the dead girl from
michigan and trying to get heston to "remember" or show so some
compassion for her death is pathetic crap.  i can't believe he is so
popular beyond sentimental cow masses arguments.

> maybe i missed something...did everyone watch the same movie i did?
> remember mike telling stories about his own experiences with guns--
how he
> grew up with guns and was quite familiar with them.  in fact, didn't
he
> mention he was a life member of the NRA in his conversation with
heston?
> perhaps i misread it--but the film wasn't about gun control or how
guns were
> evil.  his question isn't "why guns?" it's "why violence?"  remember
all
> that talk about canada and per capita guns and fewer gun murders,
etc.?
> perhaps you could elucidate this "changing positions" arg further...
>
> jason

Heston before
> the
> > american public as if that constitutes a challenge to gun control
that he
> is now
> > conveniently reversing his position on but here's moore letter
which has
> some value
> > since he is closely following the race.    the potential success of
> moore's forthcoming
> > movie could bring momentum this summer for clark against W.  also
like
> stromboli
> > moore plays hard the clark will cream bush line:
> >
> > http://www.clark04.com/moore/
> >
> > I'll Be Voting For Wesley Clark/Good-Bye Mr. Bush
> >          --by Michael Moore
> >
> > January 14, 2004
> >
> > Many of you have written to me in the past months asking, "Who are
you
> going to vote
> > for this year?"
> >
> > I have decided to cast my vote in the primary for Wesley Clark.
That's
> right, a peacenik is
> > voting for a general. What a country!
> >
> > I believe that Wesley Clark will end this war. He will make the
rich pay
> their fair share of
> > taxes. He will stand up for the rights of women, African
> Americans, and the
> > working people of this country.
> >
> > And he will cream George W. Bush.
> >
> > I have met Clark and spoken to him on a number of occasions,
feeling him
> out on the
> > issues but, more importantly, getting a sense of him as a
human
> being. And I have
> > to tell you I have found him to be the real deal, someone whom I'm
> convinced all of you
> > would like, both as a person and          as the individual
leading this
> country. He is an
> > honest, decent, honorable man who would be a breath of fresh air
in the
> White House.
> > He is clearly          not a professional politician. He is
clearly not
> from Park Avenue. And
> > he is clearly the absolute best hope we have of defeating George
W. Bush.

> > This is not to say the other candidates won't be able to beat
Bush, and I
> will work
> > enthusiastically for any of the non-Lieberman 8 who might
get          the
> nomination.
> > But I must tell you, after completing my recent 43-city tour of
this
> country, I came to the
> > conclusion that Clark has the best chance          of beating
Bush. He is
> going to inspire
> > the independents and the undecided to come our way. The hard core
(like
> us) already
> > have their minds made up.          It's the fence sitters who will
decide
> this election.
> >
> > The decision in November is going to come down to 15 states and
just a few
> percentage
> > points. So, I had to ask myself -- and I want you to
honestly          ask
> yourselves --
> > who has the BEST chance of winning Florida, West Virginia, Arizona,
> Nevada, Missouri,
> > Ohio? Because THAT is the only thing that is going          to
matter in
> the end. You know
> > the answer -- and it ain't you or me or our good internet doctor.
> >
> > This is not about voting for who is more anti-war or who was anti-
war
> first or who the
> > media has already anointed. It is about backing a candidate that
> shares our values
> > AND can communicate them to Middle America. I am convinced that
the surest
> slam
> > dunk to remove Bush is with a
> four-star-general-top-of-his-class-at-West-Point-
> > Rhodes-Scholar-Medal-of-Freedom-winning
> > -gun-owner-from-the-South -- who also, by chance, happens to be
> pro-choice,
> > pro environment, and anti-war. You don't get handed a gift like
this very
> often. I hope
> > the liberal/left is wise enough to accept it. It's hard,
when
> you're so used to losing,
> > to think that this time you can actually win. It is Clark who
stands the
> best chance --
> > maybe the only chance -- to win those          Southern and
Midwestern
> states that we
> > MUST win in order to accomplish Bush Removal. And if what I have
just said
> is true, then
> > we have no choice but to get          behind the one who can make
this
> happen.
> >
> > There are times to vote to make a statement, there are times to
vote for
> the underdog
> > and there are times to vote to save the country from catastrophe.
> This time we can
> > and must do all three. I still believe that each one of us must
vote his
> or her heart and
> > conscience. If we fail to do that, we will continue          to be
stuck
> with spineless
> > politicians who stand for nothing and no one (except those who
write them
> the biggest
> > checks).
> >
> > My vote for Clark is one of conscience. I feel so strongly about
this that
> I'm going to
> > devote the next few weeks of my life to do everything I can to help
> Wesley Clark
> > win. I would love it if you would join me on this mission.
> >
> > Here are just a few of the reasons why I feel this way about Wes
Clark:

> >  Clark has committed to ensuring that every family of four who
makes under
> $50,000 a
> > year pays NO federal income tax. None. Zip. This is the
most
> incredible helping
> > hand offered by a major party presidential candidate to the
working class
> and the
> > working poor in my lifetime. He will make up the
difference by
> socking it to the
> > rich with a 5% tax increase on anything they make over a million
bucks. He
> will make
> > sure corporations pay ALL of the          taxes they should be
paying.
> Clark has fired a
> > broadside at greed. When the New York Times last week wrote that
Wes Clark
> has been
> > "positioning himself          slightly to Dean's left," this is
what they
> meant, and it sure
> > sounded good to me.
> >

> >  He is 100% opposed to the draft. If you are 18-25 years old and
reading
> this right now,
> > I have news for you -- if Bush wins, he's going          to bring
back the
> draft. He will be
> > forced to. Because, thanks to his crazy war, recruitment is going
to be at
> an all-time
> > low. And many of the troops          stuck over there are NOT
going to
> re-enlist. The only
> > way Bush is going to be able to staff the military is to draft you
and
> your friends.
> > Parents, make          no mistake about it -- Bush's second term
will see
> your sons taken
> > from you and sent to fight wars for the oily rich. Only an ex-
general who
> knows first-
> > hand          that a draft is a sure-fire way to wreck an army
will be
> able to avert the
> > inevitable.
> >

> >  He is anti-war. Have you heard his latest attacks on Bush over
the Iraq
> War? They are
> > stunning and brilliant. I want to see him on that stage
in a
> debate with Bush -- the
> > General vs. the Deserter! General Clark told me that it's people
like him
> who are truly
> > anti-war because it's people like him          who have to die if
there is
> a war. "War must
> > be the absolute last resort," he told me. "Once you've seen young
people
> die, you never
> > want to see that          again, and you want to avoid it whenever
and
> wherever possible."
> > I believe him. And my ex-Army relatives believe him, too. It's
their votes
> we need.
> >

> >  He walks the walk. On issues like racism, he just doesn't mouth
liberal
> platitudes -- he
> > does something about it. On his own volition, he          joined
in and
> filed an amicus
> > brief with the Supreme Court in support of the University of
Michigan's
> case in favor of
> > affirmative action. He spoke about          his own insistence on
> affirmative action in the
> > Army and how giving a hand to those who have traditionally been
shut out
> has made
> > our society a better          place. He didn't have to get
involved in
> that struggle. He's a
> > middle-aged white guy -- affirmative action personally does him no
good.
> But that is
> > not          the way he thinks. He grew up in Little Rock, one of
the
> birthplaces of the civil
> > rights movement, and he knows that African Americans still occupy
the
> lowest
> > rungs of the ladder in a country where everyone is supposed to
have "a
> chance." That is
> > why he has been endorsed by one of the founding members
of the
> Congressional
> > Black Caucus, Charlie Rangel, and former Atlanta Mayor and aide to
Martin
> Luther King,
> > Jr., Andrew Young.
> >

> >  On the issue of gun control, this hunter and gun owner will close
the gun
> show
> > loophole (which would have helped prevent the massacre          at
> Columbine) and he
> > will sign into law a bill to create a federal ballistics
fingerprinting
> database for every gun
> > in America (the DC sniper, who bought          his rifle in his
own name,
> would have been
> > identified after the FIRST day of his killing spree). He is not
afraid, as
> many Democrats
> > are, of the NRA.          His message to them: "You like to fire
assault
> weapons? I have a
> > place for you. It's not in the homes and streets of America. It's
called
> the Army,
> > and you can join any time!"
> >

> >  He will gut and overhaul the Patriot Act and restore our
constitutional
> rights to privacy
> > and free speech. He will demand stronger          environmental
laws. He
> will insist that
> > trade agreements do not cost Americans their jobs and do not
exploit the
> workers or
> > environment of third          world countries. He will expand the
Family
> Leave Act. He will
> > guarantee universal pre-school throughout America. He opposes all
> discrimination
> > against gays and lesbians (and he opposes the constitutional
amendment
> outlawing gay
> > marriage). All of this is why Time magazine this week
referred to
> Clark as "Dean
> > 2.0" -- an improvement over the original (1.0, Dean himself), a
better
> version of a good
> > thing: stronger, faster, and          easier for the mainstream to
> understand and use.
> >

> >  He will cut the Pentagon budget, use the money thus saved for
education
> and health
> > care, and he will STILL make us safer than we are now.
Only the
> former
> > commander of NATO could get away with such a statement. Dean says
he will
> not cut a
> > dime out of the Pentagon. Clark knows where the          waste and
the
> boondoggles are
> > and he knows that nutty ideas like Star Wars must be put to
pasture. His
> health plan will
> > cover at least 30 million          people who now have no coverage
at all,
> including 13
> > million children. He's a general who will tell those swing
voters, "We can
> take this
> > Pentagon          waste and put it to good use to fix that school
in your
> neighborhood."
> > My friends, those words, coming from the mouth of General Clark,
are going
> > turn this country around.
> >

> > Now, before those of you who are Dean or Kucinich supporters start
> cloggin' my box
> > with emails tearing Clark down with some of the stuff
I've seen
http://
> > clerk.house.gov/evs/2003/roll083.xml). Or, need I quote Dr. Dean
> who, the
> > month after Bush "won" the election, said he wasn't too worried
about Bush
> because
> > Bush "in his soul, is a moderate"
> (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/01/09/politics/
> > campaigns/09DEAN.html)? What's the point of this ridiculous tit-
for-tat
> sniping? I
> > applaud          Dennis for all his other stands against the war,
and I am
> certain Howard
> > no longer believes we have nothing to fear about Bush. They are
good
> people.
> >
> > Why expend energy on the past when we have such grave danger
facing us in
> the
> > present and in the near future? I don't feel bad nor do I
care
> that Clark -- or
> > anyone -- voted for Reagan over 20 years ago. Let's face it, the
vast
> majority of
> > Americans voted for Reagan -- and I          want every single one
of them
> to be
> > WELCOMED into our tent this year. The message to these voters --
and many
> of them
> > are from the working class          -- should not be, "You voted
for
> Reagan? Well, to hell
> > with you!" Every time you attack Clark for that, that is the
message you
> are sending to
> > all          the people who at one time liked Reagan. If they have
now
> changed their minds
> > (just as Kucinich has done by going from anti-choice to pro-choice,
> and Dean has
> > done by wanting to cut Medicare to now not wanting to cut it) -
and if
> Clark has become
> > a liberal Democrat, is that not something to cheer?
> >
> > In fact, having made that political journey and metamorphosis, is
he not
> the best
> > candidate to bring millions of other former Reagan supporters to
> our side -- blue
> > collar people who have now learned the hard way just how bad
Reagan and
> the
> > Republicans were (and are) for them?
> >
> > We need to take that big DO NOT ENTER sign off our tent and reach
out to
> the vast
> > majority who have been snookered by these right-wingers.
And we
> have a better
> > chance of winning in November with one of their own leading them
to the
> promised
> > land.
> >
> > There is much more to discuss and, in the days and weeks ahead, I
will
> continue to send
> > you my thoughts. In the coming months, I will also          be
initiating
> a number of
> > efforts on my website to make sure we get out the vote for the
Democratic

http://www.votesmart.org/