[eDebate] A debate is about one question:

tneal at unt.edu tneal
Wed Jan 28 13:11:38 CST 2004

I think Paul is absolutely correct about this.  JP (inadvertanatly) expands
what he wants in rounds.  By providing an alternative path to policy
beneficialness, JP admits those arguments that people seem to base their
politics around: the language criticism.  I think the distance between
topicality (and other traditional procedurals)  and language criticisms is
slight at best.  Both roads moot (mute) consideration of the plan and its
effects upon the world.  Instead the debate has been turned to an analysis of
the round upon the, at minimum, five people present in the room.  The question
is one of fairness: whose interpretaion of the topic is most fair to the people
participating in the activity.  Whose rhetorical deployments are most fair to
the people present?  Since the debate always involve a deliberation of those
outside the immediate debate, the fairness considerations are also accounting
for those absent from, not present in, the round.  This is why Louisville's
(sp?)project also seems to be allowed under JP's framework.  People can agree
that the debate ought to be about preference about the plan, but once they
provide an exception for topicality considerations I do not see how they can
maintain a lock against other arguments.  This distinction, between topicality
and the language criticism, is where I think the discussion needs to turn.
Only by locking out topicality can we lock out the language criticism.

Travis Neal
U. North Texas