[eDebate] New Format for Elims

Matthew Doggett mmdoggett
Wed Jan 28 13:52:52 CST 2004

I have just a couple of observations that I think support Dallas.
First, I'm guessing that most people that would support this new system have
not had much experience running tournaments.  Think about the amount of time
we would have to waste waiting for people to make, and then, accept
challenges.  Then, extra time would be spent by teams to prep.  I don't know
the average time for debate rounds, but I think I could safely argue that
this new system would add an hour to the rounds.
Second, where is the education in challenging someone that you know you
match up well with?  Not to mention that if this is done in prelims, how
many students would we scare off, because they know they will get their
butts kicked in for the first two rounds.
I hope that people reconsider changing the format.
Matthew Doggett
App State