[eDebate] *Legal Topic Good*

Matt Gerber matt_gerber27
Thu Apr 6 15:44:59 CDT 2006

I would rather rather see some discussion about next year's topic/resolution
than about the other stuff going on. Maybe other people would too? Here are
general reasons to support a Legal topic for 06-07.

1. If worded properly, better critical ground for the aff. What I mean is,
maybe it could be worded with a bidirectional mechanism much like the
1994-1995 NDT Topic: Resolved: That the United States Federal Government
should substantially change criminal procedure in one or more of the
following areas: pre-trial detention or sentencing. That way the Aff doesnt
have to defend heinous things that the USFG/Court does, rather they can
change/overturn or otherwise run from the legitimacy of the legal system. It
gives the Aff at least a chance for good offense against Ks of the legal
system/state, etc. Ban Mandatory Minimums, Strengthen The X-Rule, Change
Detention procedures (Immigrants, "Terrorists", Refugees), would all be Affs
in that area. The criminal procedure topic was AWESOME. Ask people who
debated it.

2. I dont buy the arguments about why a bidirectional topic is bad; they
could be good: a) increases education-- learn both sides of the topic, get
to research an aff you actually believe in, research the mechanism (criminal
procedure in the above example) in-depth, etc. b) you have to be able to "go
both ways" on most debate positions anyway. No one just goes in with their
"Hegemony Good" files (well maybe some), but in most cases ya gotta research
the other side too. c) if worded properly, you could control the scope and
predictability of the topic by limiting the areas (sentencing or pre-trial
detention in the above example), d) it could potentially make some of these
dumb theory debates about the merits of "switch-side" debating go away; in
fact, that would kinda be built into the topic I guess.

3. I want a legal topic, not a "Courts" topic. There is a difference. The
example I used above is a LEGAL topic--- its in the realm of legal affairs,
but does NOT require the Court as an actor. It does NOT require the overturn
of a Supreme Court case. You could choose the Court as your actor, but not
required. It is also not a list topic. I think a Courts topic along the
lines of "Resolved: That the U.S. Supreme Court should overturn one or more
of the following cases...." would be bad. Real bad. It just seems too small,
too limiting for the Aff, certainly more of an advantage for negative K
teams. Potentially just a snoozer. I dont know, I guess I just hate topics
that spell it all out: No flexibility on the actor or the list.  I am in
favor of a topic in this area, but lets open it up a bit. I'm not saying we
should just debate the 94-95 NDT topic again, but I do think the topic
committee got it right that year.

Just an opening salvo.

~Gerber