[eDebate] Rules about Eligibility: A contradiction?

Rob Eback robeback00
Sun Apr 9 13:22:39 CDT 2006

Here's what my research skills have led me to find.

Charter of the National Debate Tournament <
http://www.wfu.edu/organizations/NDT/Documents/charter.html>

Article VI: The National Tournament.
E. Student qualification shall be established by the National
Committee *consistent
with the AFA Code of Ethics*.
F. Qualification procedures shall be established by the National Committee.

Standing Rules for the Operation of the National Debate Tournament <
http://www.wfu.edu/organizations/NDT/Documents/ndtrules.html>

Rule II: Participant Qualification. In compliance with Article VI, Sections
E and F of the NDT Charter:
A. General Regulations.
1.
d. A debater may qualify for and attend the NDT a maximum of four times.
e. For the purpose of determining eligibility to participate at the National
Debate Tournament, the number of time blocks in which a student has competed
will include all intercollegiate debate competition. The counting of years
of eligibility shall begin in the fall of 1996.
f. In addition to AFA eligibility standards, participation in *any* debate
tournament in more than ten *semesters* renders a debater ineligible to
attend the NDT.

http://www.americanforensics.org/documents/afacode.html#ARTICLE%20I:%20COMPETITOR%20STANDARDS
Code of Forensics Program and Forensics Tournament Standards for College and
Universities
ARTICLE I: COMPETITOR STANDARDS
A tournament contestant is to be an officially enrolled undergraduate
student in good standing at the college or university he/she is representing
in competition.

A student's eligibility for forensics competition shall expire following
participation during 5 academic years, or 4 academic years of AFA national
tournaments.
*A student shall have used his/her eligibility in a given academic year if
he/she participates in three or more forensics tournaments*:
A student shall be considered to have participated in a tournament if he/she
competes in at least half of the scheduled preliminary rounds of the
tournament.
A tournament is defined as a forensics contest involving at least four
schools in which at least four rounds of debate or two rounds of individual
events are held, decisions are rendered by judges and awards given. This
definition does not include summer workshop tournaments.
A student's participation in individual events shall not count against
his/her eligibility to compete in debate, and vice versa.
Students may appeal cases of medical hardships to a designated appeals
committee of the NDT or the NIET.

The *PRC* will determine if a student's transfer is the result of
unscrupulous recruiting efforts based on the facts of the individual case.
It is the burden of the school alleging unscrupulous recruiting to provide
proof to the *PRC* that the school that the student transfers to initiated
the contact with the student and the decision to transfer was motivated by
the promise of financial compensation and/or other rewards for forensic
competition.

*[I just think it's funny that the document says PRC given this past year's
debate topic.]*

The above eligibility rules shall not restrict additional eligibility
requirements established by either the NDT or NIET Committees or by
individual tournament directors.

Can we get an official interpretation of these rules?  It reads to me like
there is a contradiction in the rules regarding eligbility (that being the
Charter says it should be consistent, yet the Standing Rules do not conform
with AFA standards). Which rules apply for determining eligibility to debate
in the NDT (the only reason I'm asking is the "silly" thought that I might
be able to do that next year).

Sorry if I've stirred another fire but eDebate ain't burned down yet.

Rob Eback