[eDebate] Do not put it on the BALLOT

Nicole nicole.colston
Mon Apr 10 13:18:21 CDT 2006

*The Summary*: Debate is the real world.  Professional politics and
competition drive our topic decisions, not education.  Education on Roe v.
Wade will be minimal.  The Debate Community impacts to debaters and female
coaches will always "outweigh".

* *

*Debate is the "real-world":*

First, I understand there is a "real world" outside of CEDA/NDT debate where
policy is made.  I also understand that debate has the awesome potential to
empower the future policy?makers of the world.  Shit, I love Debate that's
why I have made it my career. . . I do not believe my argument is Debate Bad
or Topic Committee Bad or Political Conservatives Bad.

However, I will maintain as central to my entire case that our debate
community is the "real world," more than a neutral academic space.  It is my
professional and social space.   It is often a life-changing and
value-forming activity for my students (and this is so despite the current
"social contract," style, and theory that neutralizes the personal debate
space and limits breadth/nuance in argument).  My students and I have a
right to discuss the implications to us, to our debate community, and to the
'"real world".

I resent the comments that I am not open to both-sides or that I fail to see
the educational potential/need.  I am not stupid.  I simply think that it is
a bad decision in light of the many choices we face.

*Professional politics and competition drive our topic decisions*

In the 'D'ebate world, we as educators can make choices about the way we
educate our students.  Often, these choices are made on competitive,
political, and professional decisions- not on the best education.  We all
know that public topic discussions end up being about generic DA ground,
research burden, and the harms of bi-directionality.

My post harps on the topic committee because I think that the topic process
is not neutral.  Richter talks about this?and I think there is plenty of
empirical and narrative proof of deliberate exclusion and delegitimization
of women's voices throughout the history (and present) of debate.  It is
important, and more people should be aware of what is going down.  In the
future, I will be more involved, trust me.

I don't blame the topic committee?I just think the whole process should be
more important to everyone, duh!   I want to know why the meeting wasn't
announced loudly and largely.  I want WEBCASTING!!!  Lastly, I do not think
that past apathy is an excuse for not addressing the implications of
"overturning Roe v. Wade" now.  Don't change the subject.

*There will be little education and much desctruction*:

I reject the idea that the "overturning Roe v. Wade" debates will be
educational for a number of reasons:

1)      We all know that debate cases do not represent the actual legal
process.  Debate on this topic will not teach us how to deal with the
social, religious, and personal implications of this policy-  I think that
specific politics links are the closest we will come.  Except for maybe some
teams who try to argue the issue from more value (aka critical) perspectives
who will be subject to Topicality and "no alt." debates in which they are
told they can only discuss the actual "legal" issues.

2)      Richter is 100% correct- "This topic creates a specific barrier to
debate that only womyn have to deal with."  The political ramifications for
our debate community, my "real world", are far larger than your education
impacts and switch-side good babble.  Debate is useless without personal
involvement by debaters and increased access by all voices. . quit
bullshitting me about how the topic process and debates actually happen!

3)      The semantic orientation, as well as the political orientation, of
"overturning Roe v. Wade" would make adopting such a resolution an awful
pedagological decision.  We are the experts- we should know how to frame
issues better!!!!!!!

4)      We must ask ourselves, what will these debates look like and weigh
that with the personal implications to female students and coaches.

I did not choose to politicize 'D"ebate.  It comes to me that way.

--
Take a visible stand for peace!