[eDebate] PUT it on the ballot!

Marissa Silber luvmarissa
Mon Apr 10 15:10:45 CDT 2006

As a woman in this activity I find it important to respond to some of the
claims being made. Based on the discussions that occurred today, I am NOT
convinced that including Roe v. Wade would be bad AT ALL. This doesn?t mean
that once I see topic wordings that I will support it, but much of the
discussion that has happened today really disturbs me.

First, people shouldn?t necessarily let this discussion about Roe v. Wade
affect which topic area they vote for. Unless I have missed something, there
is no guarantee that Roe v. Wade will be included once the wording is worked
out. There are lots of types of cases that could be included in this topic.

Second, I don?t think people will necessarily be forced to defend the
?pro-life? or ?pro-choice? side of this debate but they do have the liberty
to discuss a relevant social issue. Let me first state, however, that I
think switch side debate is good and that learning about the other side can
only help us make better conclusions and gain better understandings of
positions ? I don?t think most of us can claim to be an expert on either
side of this debate and although we have opinions, it might help them to be
more grounded. With that said, I don?t see how people would be forced into
this position of defending pro-life or pro-choice. Debaters can choose to
defend a different court case to be overturned when affirmative, or they can
even defend overturning Roe v. Wade but on different grounds. For example,
the aff can claim to federalism as a reason to overturn Roe ? they can say
that abortion good da?s don?t apply since states will still retain the right
to have an abortion. On the negative, I think (hope) debates will be more
high tech about Roe, such as debating about the legal rationale or
constitutional principles which the case is based on. The negative can also
debate about under what grounds (yippee for counterplans) Roe should be
overturned.

Third, who are we as a community to determine that a topic is too
uncomfortable to debate? We didn?t determine that some Chinese people might
feel uncomfortable defending pressure on their country. We certainly have
allowed practices that might be seen as uncomfortable, certain performance
based practices, in this activity to occur. I think this ?uncomfortable?
topic is extremely important to be discussed ? it?s funny that people
constantly complain that women are excluded from the activity, but finally
we have a topic that affects women everyday, and we can?t talk about it! Are
you kidding me? It?s so strange to me that the same people that are arguing
this topic will make women and minorities feel uncomfortable because it is
so personal also argue why debate should be personal and more than a game!
If not policy debate then what is the proper forum for discussions about
abortion? One of the greatest things about our activity is that judges
strive to the best of their abilities to make an objective decision based on
the warrants and persuasiveness of arguments as they are presented in a
given round. We put personal beliefs aside in the name of argument. I'd like
to think that if we as a community decided to include Roe v. Wade in the
topic that we could get beyond the ideologically driven rhetoric presented
by the media and politicians. Two people arguing back and forth with one
side screaming "abortion is murder" and the other side claiming "women
should be able to control their bodies" hardly constitutes a meaningful
debate. But this is not what would happen if we debated the subject. We'd
actually have high tech debates about the political effects of overturning
Roe and we'd consider questions like "what would the state governments do in
the aftermath of overturning Roe?" and "where in the world did the Supreme
Court find a right to abortion in the Constitution?"

Fourth, claims that participation would decline seem really silly to me ? I
am sorry but I think I will have a much better chance recruiting people to
join the team if we talk about domestic social policies than convincing a
bunch of college students that they should learn to talk really fast about
countries they have never even heard of. Now, should people necessary care
about the topic they are discussing ? no, potentially debate?s a game about
any subject (which would just prove that Roe is just another subject we
should talk about), however for recruitment purposes, people would probably
be a lot more interested.

Lastly, c?mon ? do we really need to go so far as to make claims of quitting
the activity??? First, just because you have a personal problem with the
topic doesn?t mean you should limit students to being able to debate about
them ? it is unfair, I think, to speak for all your students and limit their
ability to debate. More importantly, is quitting really the answer ? how
will this lead to change in the community? And if you don?t plan on
quitting, don?t make such rhetorically powerful statements. I am reminded of
the lecture that I gave last summer at debate camp where I went through the
?top ten things you should not do in a debate? and threatening to quit was
definitely on there!

When it comes to social issues, I am extremely liberal ? however I see value
in debate and recognizing both sides. So should this community.  Oh, and I
will make you a promise ? if any Supreme Court justice claims they were
influenced to overturn Roe v. Wade because of our debate topic and solely on
the reasons that ?abortion is bad,? I will personally fly to Washington D.C.
and meet with each and every one of them. However, since I see the
likelihood of that being almost zero, I will instead use that money to buy
my team dinner at CEDA next year after we debate a well-thought out topic
written by an over-worked, underpaid committee and anyone from the activity
that is willing to be involved in what should be a well-respected topic
selection.

Marissa Silber

P.S. My opinions are in no way representative of the University of Florida
debate team. Although I normally avoid posting on edebate as much as
possible, I felt it was important as a woman, coach, and advocate for this
activity to share these opinions.