[eDebate] ROE V. WADE DISCUSSION

Dutcher, Michael DUTCHERM
Mon Apr 10 15:35:40 CDT 2006

As a side note: GMU ran overturn Roe v. Wade a few different ways during
the privacy topic:

1. Roe was a bad decision based on legal grounds. Then sit and wait to
see which way the Neg went if at all on abortion. Neil Butt and my
brother ran this, I can't speak to how the negative teams reacted. My
gut is that their debates were almost never about abortion good/bad.

2. Another way was a big Anti-Bush I case. We read a big observation
that said that overturning Roe v. Wade would stop Bush I from getting
reelected and had 7 or 8 Scenarios for Bush bad. Nobody ever mentioned
pro-life or pro-choice.

3. There was a third way but for the life of me I can't think of it now
that I'm typing. Maybe Galloway, Stables or Butt can remember. I didn't
write them. I was a lowly frosh during that topic, obsessed with writing
non-topical 4th amendment cases :)

I guess my point is: I can't imagine people running this as a pro-life
affirmative. My feeling is that it will probably be a debate about which
course of action is better for reproductive rights and/or the political
ramification of such an overturn. Whether that's good or bad, I guess
that's in the eye of the debater.

Michael Dutcher