[eDebate] Roe v. Wade - program issues

Illinois Debate illinoisdebate
Mon Apr 10 16:56:36 CDT 2006

Hey all -

As a new program trying to establish itself and attempting to find
administrative and financial support, I can't imagine a world in which Roe
v. Wade was a central part of the topic.  I can't even fathom going to a
department considering supporting us (such as Poli Sci) and telling them
that abortion is the national topic.  They'd laugh us out of the room.  No
institution would want to join into something so controversial; it's
been hard enough to get them interested in something like China.  While it
may seem antithetical to the concept of policy debate to be ignoring such a
timely and divisive issue, I just think this is one Pandora's Box that would
be best left closed.

-Tim Glass
Coach, U of I Debate

--