[eDebate] 2006 Solidarity in Debate Award Recipients

matt stannard stannardmatt
Thu Apr 13 14:05:11 CDT 2006

We received MANY nominations for the 2006 Solidarity in Debate Awards, all
of them worthy of honor and distinction.  After careful consideration, the
committee (Joe Bellon, Emily Cram, Gina Lane, Ed Lee, and myself) named the
following four recipients:

Bob Lechtreck, Bakersfield College
Sam Nelson, Cornell University
Will Baker, CEDA President, NY Coalition, IMPACT
ML Veden and Christi Siver, University of Washington

Each of these winners will receive plaques soon.

Everyone on the committee agreed that each of these winners, and the many
nominees who easily could have won, have devoted a significant portion of
their careers not merely to "promoting debate," but to promoting material,
economic access to debate.  In some cases, they did so quietly and without
anyone's knowledge for years and years.  In many cases, they did so at a
tremendous personal and financial cost.  We agreed that it was truly
inspiring to read all the nomination letters.  Speaking for myself, this
experience certainly reaffirmed why I love my job, and also reminded me that
I have a long way to go to match the sacrifices and contributions these
people have made.

Thanks to the committee, congratulations to the winners, and may we all
learn from the example they set.

Matt Stannard
Wyoming Speech and Debate Union