[eDebate] fwd: from Russ Hubbard Re: Resolution Controversy

Aaron Kall mardigras23
Fri Apr 14 00:45:39 CDT 2006

It appears that many of the same issues about how to debate, which style is
better, and where debate is heading have yet to be resolved since I finished
debating in 2002.  After reading the current conversation taking place
between Jackie, Josh, and Ede I thought that this would be a great
opportunity for those on the left like Jackie and Ede to finally tell the
rest of the debate community how they would word a resolution (assuming they
would have a resolution at all) if they had the sole power to control the
framing/direction of the topic for next year.  So, to Jackie, Ede, and
anyone else who wishes to contribute to this discussion I am seriously
interested (although more curious) to see what a year in debate would look
like if you could dictate the topic.  Would there be a topic, an aff, a neg,
4 deabters, tournaments, trophies, etc.?  I truly beleive (at least f! or
me) that the community could learn a lot from how you answer this e-mail
(seriously answer), so I encourage you actually respond in a meaningful way.
  Anyway, this may be a totally stupid idea, but I thought it may answer
some of my questions about the critical/non-traditional (whatever it's
called these days) perspective on debate.  I tried getting these answers
during CX when I debated but usually just watched as someone danced around a
chair or accused me of being a (insert race/gender/whatever) ist.  Anyway,
in all seriousness, please respond.

Russ Hubbard
UK (small squad-only had 2 debaters and 2 coaches my sr. year) debate.