[eDebate] Repeal the worker rule

matt stannard stannardmatt
Thu Apr 20 23:35:55 CDT 2006

I have nothing but respect for Steve Mancuso.  I think the cheap shots
against him by a couple of people in this conversation were hurtful and
unwarranted.  I have no doubt the intent of this rule was pure goodness.

The NDT committee should repeal the rule for several reasons:

1. It was passed in haste, circulated after district tournaments, and many
of us never heard about it until after it passed.  That might be a problem
with chairs, but it's a darn understandable problem given people's schedules
and the fact that some chairs could not attend the NDT.

2. It actually hurts small squads.  Many squads rely on part time helpers
who can often ONLY attend the NDT and maybe one or two other tournaments.
Other squads rely on graduate students in tough programs who can only cut
cards at tournaments.

3. In any event, the fact that different (including small,
resource-challenged) squads will say it hurts/helps them only underscores
the necessity of letting squads and directors decide for themselves what's
best for their teams.

4. The proponent of this rule admits it won't make ANY difference in terms
of wins and losses.  I have often gone on record as saying that resource
disparities in this community make the game sometimes appear fixed.  But I
have always hastily followed such comments with the caveat that regulations
will not solve those kinds of disparities.  Massive resource redistribution
might, but not rules like this.  If it won't make any difference, then
why...?

5. One reason it won't make any difference is that most squads have at least
some debaters, coaches, or alumni who can stay home from the NDT and cut
evidence after receiving a quick phone call or IM from participants at the
NDT.  Actually, I can get ten cards faster by calling someone at home than
waiting for Pinto to come out of the debate he's judging AT the NDT and
telling him we need those cards.

6. It's arbitrary. According to my interpretation of the rule (following
Eber's questions), I can lexis a term, see a few articles, read them, and
then tell Pinto or Crowe or Jamie or Will or somebody duly "authorized" to
cut them.  I can tell them what to look for, etc.  I could even look over
their shoulder and tell them exactly what to cut.  If I have a HUGE budget,
I can hire a bunch of judges who can do the same thing--find articles for
the debaters and authorized coaches to cut.  Might not be a huge advantage,
but it's still an advantage, and remember, the proponent of the rule admits
it doesn't solve anyway.

Many of these arguments are ones I would have made had this issue been
brought to my attention with enough time to deliberate.  Others are ones I
picked up from the many voices on edebate reacting to the rule.  I urge the
committee, nay, beg them, to repeal this rule.  Personally I don't think we
need any rules like this.  I think we need to LOWER THE COSTS OF ATTENDING
THE NDT.

Some pre-empts and clarification:

1. There were three coaches cutting cards for Wyoming at the NDT, not two.
Still, our debaters do most of that, as they should--not because of some
debatable educational model, but for obvious pragmatic reasons.  But I just
wanted to add us to the list of squads who don't understand why we were on
that list.

2. "But coaches shouldn't cut evidence at all."  I disagree.  I believe in a
collaborative model of education-competition.  If the debaters aren't
learning anything, chances are they'll lose a lot and if they're smart
they'll start rejecting badly written coach's positions and writing more of
their own (of course they could always buy it from one of the many fine
evidence production services out there).  This issue isn't as cut and dried
as "you are pathetic if you coach just because you like to research"
--That's probably true, but research is one among many things I enjoy and
it's a way I can LEARN FROM the debaters as well as occasionally teach them.
  This might be a completely separate question but I wanted to address it
anyway.

3. "The NDT is a private organization, if you don't like the rule, then
don't go to the NDT."  All due respect...nope.  We can also deal with it
through deliberation, like we are now.  Plus, I got tired of hearing that I
should move to France if I don't like the war in Iraq...ya know?

Anyway, this rule should be repealed for procedural and substantive reasons.

stannard