[eDebate] Cheney reirement? Would it be benificial?

FijiPapabear at aol.com FijiPapabear
Sun Apr 23 16:03:19 CDT 2006

Newspaper Calls for Cheney to  Retire
Reuters

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Los Angeles Times editorial  on Sunday called for a
"far more audacious" makeover of President George W.  Bush's administration,
saying he should send Vice President Dick Cheney into  early retirement.

Earlier this week, Bush Press Secretary Scott McClellan  resigned and Karl
Rove gave up his policy role as part of a White House sweep  aimed at reviving
Bush's sagging job-approval ratings ahead of November's  pivotal mid-term
elections.

"The remaking of the president in the public eye likely  will require more
than last week's game of musical chairs," the editorial  said.

"Bush has acknowledged that he has spent much of his  political capital on
Iraq, and the way to replenish the reserves is to replace  the officials most
associated with the overreaching that led to the tragedy in  Iraq -- and with
the administration's broader disdain for diplomacy."

The paper noted broad speculation that Treasury  Secretary John Snow will
likely be ushered out next, but said a better solution  would include the
resignation of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld -- whose  critics, including retired
generals, have demand that he step aside -- and  Cheney's ouster.

"Throwing Cheney overboard would be an implicit  repudiation of the
excessively hawkish foreign policy with which the vice  president, even more than
Rumsfeld, has been associated," the paper  said.

Cheney told CBS television's "Face the Nation" on March  19 he had no
intention of resigning. "I didn't ask for this job. I didn't  campaign for it. I got
drafted," Cheney said.

"I've now been elected to a second term," he told CBS.  "I'll serve out my
term."

Unlike most vice presidents, Cheney does not aspire to  be president, the
editorial said, so he would not be giving up a political  birthright by agreeing
to retire due to health reasons or concern over the  publicity surrounding the
trial of his former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter"  Libby.

"No longer proclaiming 'mission accomplished,' Bush has  been pursuing a
sadder-but-wiser policy in Iraq that many Democrats also  endorse," the paper
said. "Having changed his tune, the president should also  think about changing
the company he  keeps."