[eDebate] More Tournaments and Workshops for 2006-2007

Beth Skinner beth.skinner
Sun Apr 23 21:21:06 CDT 2006

This letter contains details on several events for the 2006-2007 year.  Our
purpose is to facilitate high-quality debate experiences in the Mid-Atlantic
area.  Working cooperatively, we believe that our community can increase
debate opportunities for hundreds of students at dozens of colleges in the
region.  We aim to lower entry barriers by providing free instruction, free
access to evidence and low-cost, no-frills tournaments.  It won't be fancy
but we hope you will join us.  Though we hope to find more partners in the
Baltimore area, all the events described below will be at Towson University,
just north of Baltimore http://wwwnew.towson.edu/main/maps/.  Please contact
Beth Skinner (skinner at towson.edu) or Andy Ellis (andy at budl.org) with
questions or suggestions.

*Workshops (8/14-8/19, 9/30-10/1)*

Baltimore Debate Cooperative: A free one-week intensive workshop designed to
serve both beginning and experienced debaters.  Several senior college
debate coaches have volunteered to lead labs ? contact us if you would like
to join them.  Lodging and food are not provided.

Workshops: No fees but you must provide your own materials and copying
funds.  Contact us if you're interested in volunteering your experience by
acting as a workshop facilitator.

*Tournaments (9/30-10/1, 11/3-11/5, 12/2-12/3, 1/20-1/21)  *

Tournament team entry fees: $15 per team OR free for programs that include
at least one UDL alum. Entry fees cover trophies and snacks each day for
competitors and the judge covering the team.  Observers are welcome and can
either pay $5 per day for snacks or choose to bring their own food.
Competitors
should meet the eligibility rules of the sanctioning organizations.

Tournament judging: One judge is required to cover every two teams.  For the
5 round tournaments, a single team must provide three rounds of judging.  A
very limited number of judges may be available for hire through the
tournament at $100 per uncovered team.  Contact us early if you need help
finding judges.  Judges should meet the standards of the sanctioning
organizations.

Sanctioning: All tournaments will be CEDA sanctioned.  In addition, we will
request ADA sanctioning for the 11/3-11/5 tournament.

Entries: Use Debate Results (the Bruschke site) to enter tournaments
http://commweb.fullerton.edu/jbruschke/web/home.aspx.

*Logistics*

Food: You can bring your own lunches, order food or visit nearby food
establishments during the 90 minute lunch breaks.

Lodging: Daily schedules are designed to facilitate commuting.  For those
who choose to stay overnight, the least expensive hotels in the area have
rates in the range of $75/night and we hope to negotiate something better.

* *

* *

*Schedules*

Baltimore Debate Cooperative ? Monday 8/14-Saturday 8/19, 10 am to 10 pm
daily

Tournament 1/Workshop ? 4 prelims with finals, open and novice divisions

Saturday 9/30

10:30 Round 1

12:30 Round 2

2:30 Lunch Break

4:00 Workshop Sessions

Sunday 10/1

10:30 Round 3

12:30 Round 4

2:30 Lunch Break

                        4:00 Workshop Sessions

                        6:00 Finals

Tournament 2 ? 6 prelims with finals, open and novice divisions

Friday 11/3

2:00 Round 1

4:00 Round 2

Saturday 11/4

10:30 Round 3

12:30 Round 4

2:30 Lunch

4:00 Round 5

6:00 Round 6

            Sunday 11/5

                        10:00 Octas

12:00 Lunch

1:00 Quarters

3:00 Awards

3:30 Semis

6:00 Finals

Tournament 3 ? 5 prelims with finals, open and novice divisions

Saturday 12/2

10:30 Round 1

12:30 Round 2

2:30 Lunch

4:00 Round 3

6:00 Round 4

Sunday 12/3

10:00 Round 5

12:00 Lunch

1:00 Quarters

3:00 Awards

3:30 Semis

6:00 Finals

Tournament 4 ? 5 prelims with finals, open and novice divisions

Saturday 1/20

10:30 Round 1

12:30 Round 2

2:30 Lunch