[eDebate] Topic Formulations - Whats your method?

debate at ou.edu debate
Mon Apr 24 09:22:04 CDT 2006

Hello,

Here are the people on the topic committee I think.  Sometimes my posts seem more like call-outs than
discussion starters.  Hopefully, this is an informative discussion starter.
It might seem like a Supreme Court call for party affiliation, but it is not!

 Mancuso
 E. Lee
 Stables
 Galloway
 Steinberg
 Patrice
 D. Elliot
 T. Odonnel
 M. Gordon

Inevitably ? The topic committee will meet at the end of May, beginning of June.

We will have a topic area.  These people will have to create a topic.

Now my question is how will these people be approaching the topic formulation process.

Last year I was told there would be a broad topic on the ballot.  Then after the support for a possible broad
topic, one of the members dimissed the topic as a bad idea.

So my question is how do you approach topic construction.

I know most of you have no reason to respond, and would rather just show up and create a topic without
people understanding the methods in which you see the process should go down.

Example #1 --  I assume the topic will say ?USFG should?.   Now,  will what the "USFG should" do -  be binding
to allow ?negative ground? or will what the ?USFG should? do be open in relation to the topic area.

Example #2 ? Is negative ground better or more important than affirmative flexibility?  Will the affirmative be
restricted to specific ?bad? actions so the negative can have an argument? (yes bad is subjective ? that is why
any restrictor is biased)

Example #3 ? Can we identify all of the solvency advocates/options within a topic area in the six weeks or four
days of the topic committee meeting?  Does the wording invite us to explore, or restrict us with definitional
dogma?

I really have no clue on how some of the people on the committee approach these issues.  I have never even
met some of these people.

I am not really up for debate on how you see it, I just want to know how you see it, so when the topic committee
meeting happens, there will be more familiarity with the process you will be utilizing. (backchannel me if you
wish)

I promise I will not respond to indict your method, but would find it very helpful to have an idea of what lens you
see topic construction through.

Peace

Massey