[eDebate] CEDA Topic/Summer Meeting Info.

Darren Elliott delliott
Tue Apr 25 14:13:34 CDT 2006

Greetings Friends!

It is my pleasure to once again serve as your host for the CEDA Topic and Summer Business Meetings, here in Kansas City.  In this email you will find hotel information, area attractions, and information about the Summer Meetings.  If I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.  We look forward to welcoming you to Kansas City and will do our best to entertain you.

Schedule:
May 31st       Topic Committee Meeting Day #1 approx. 9:30am   KCKCC Campus
June 1st        Topic Committee Meeting Day #2                         KCKCC Campus
June 2nd       Topic Committee Meeting Day #3                         KCKCC Campus
                    (Projected wrap-up around Mid-Day)
June 2nd       CEDA Summer Business and Planning Meetings Day #1   KCKCC Campus
June 3rd       CEDA Summer Business and Planning Meetings Day #2   KCKCC Campus
June 4th        CEDA Summer Business and Planning Meetings Day #3  KCKCC Campus

For relevant information regarding agendas for the Topic Meeting please contact Steve Mancuso, Topic Committee Chair.
For relevant information regarding agendas for the CEDA Summer Business Meeting please contact Dave Steinberg.

We will provide shuttle service to and from the first 2 hotels to the campus for the meetings.

Hotel Information:
There are 3 hotels in close proximity to the Campus that will provide us discounted rates.  Discount is a relative term in the KC area.  Village West, a shopping and dining mecca is located 3 miles to the West of Campus and as such local accomodations fill up and at the rate of $125-$250 a night have no problem selling out.  At the start of summer it is especially hard to get rooms.  Below is what we have been able to negotiate.

1.  Microtel Inn and Suites (This has served as the KCKCC Tournament Hotel for 4 years now.  This past year there were some problems with room availability, check-in, etc.  The hotel has worked with me diligently the last 2 weeks to ensure these problems do not repeat.  I will get a daily rooming list to make sure this process is error-free to the best of my ability.  They understand the issues last time and worked to correct them.  This includes them honoring a great rate for the KC area for this event.)
They will offer a rate of $55.00 a night for a Single Queen or Double Queens.
They will offer a rate of $60.00 a night for a Single Queen Suite with pullout Sofa.
They have 25 rooms currently blocked.  Their direct number is (913)334-3028.
Ask for "Kansas City Kansas Community College Debate"
If you have problems please ask for Cindy or Max.
The Microtel has free wireless internet, a hot breakfast with waffles, a pool and hot tub.
This will serve as the official Summer Meeting hotel.

2.  Comfort Inn and Suites.  This hotel is just across I-70 from the Microtel.  They have secured a rate of $89.95 a night for a Single Queen or Double Queens.
The rate for a King is $99.95 a night.  Pricey indeed but it is the start of summer in KC.
They have 20 rooms currently blocked.  Their direct number is (913)299-5555
Ask for "Kansas City Kansas Community College"
If you have problems please ask for Leah or Steve
The Comfort Inn has a free hot breakfast, free wireless throughout the property, a pool and hot tub.

3.  Hoiliday Inn Express at the Speedway.  The hotel is located in the Heart of Village West at the Speedway.  They have offered a rate of $94.95 a night.  We do not have an official contract with them for the conference but this is the discounted rate they will offer events at KCKCC (from their normal $125.00 a night).
Their direct number is (913)328-1024.  Ask for Renee Hadley if you have problems making a reservation should you choose this property.

The Microtel will serve as the official Host Hotel and is where I will have a Suite for entertainment purposes and reception functions

Check out http://www.villagewest.us/ for all of your dining and entertainment needs while in Kansas City.  For shopping in an upscale outdoor setting akin to the Mall at Universal Studios Hollywood, check out http://www.legendsshopping.com/

Anyone interested in doing the BBQ Tour let me know.  Basically as many KC BBQ joints one can fit into their schedule in less than a week.  It is worth the effort believe me.  : )

I will also have a website up soon with other attractions and points of interest.

Please let me know if I can be of service.  I look forward to seeing you in KC in May and June.

Chief

Darren Elliott
Director of Debate--KCKCC
CEDA 2nd VP Elect