[eDebate] gas prices and debate budgets

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Thu Apr 27 10:23:39 CDT 2006

Just curious (I'm in the middle of budgeting for next year):  have any directors out there started to make different travel decisions based on the price of oil?  I'm looking at shorter trips and fewer plane trips (oil prices have had a bigger impact on the cost of plane trips than van trips).  A 25% increase in oil prices translates to about $1.50 per round extra on an average (for us--360 miles) van trip, but it translates to about $18 per round extra on a typical plane trip.

Any thoughts?
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University