[eDebate] Troubling debate behaviors

Alfred Snider alfred.snider
Thu Apr 6 09:15:06 CDT 2006

This is a very good point, Eric.

I often take younger debaters as my 4th or 5th team to CEDA Nats so they
can see how it is done.

This year I had a novice debater tell me that he received a critique
that was so harsh and so personal that it really made him want to quit
the activity and the tournament and go back to the hotel. He did not
because he described himself as very determined to debate and will not
let anyone stop him. That is not appropriate or necessary. I am not
going to confront that judge because I can anticipate a shouting match
and more personal insults. I would expect any judge to give criticism
(and we want that, students want that, especially younger debaters) that
is given in such a way that it can be internalized properly and shows
respect. Such a judge would not tolerate debaters speaking to them in
that way, but feel it is appropriate for them to do so.

In CEDA East we established a protocol for this at our meeting. All
coaches request that if they or any of their judges offend or discourage
a debater during a critique it needs to be communicated immediately so
that it can be dealt with. At times the judge does not even know he or
she is doing it, but just gets carried away. Like many disads,
perception is key.

Only 69 schools at CEDA nats this year. Can we afford to keep driving
people away?

Tuna

PS: Congrats on a great year, Eric. Who would have known that a simple
name change would do so much. ;-)