[eDebate] *Legal Topic Good*

dbteam dbteam
Thu Apr 6 23:07:30 CDT 2006

i will use Matt's informative and productive post to echo some of his points
which i feel have a lot of support in the community (based on conversations i
have frequently among various groups), but which rarely seem to carry any
weight when the actual resolutions get written:

1) The Resolution should not overly constrict aff plan variations by including
specified agents or narrow lists of actions. this is not 1991. the growth of K
ground and PICs have made debating on the NEG much easier and debating against
the examples of small abusive aff cases that are always listed during the
discussion EVEN EASIER. any casual observation of elims where sides are chosen
by coin-toss reveals that waaaay too many teams flip NEG for there to be the
slant toward the AFF that is the premise for the resolutions that are so
narrowly drawn. this year's topic didn't didn't specify the agent and didn't
include a list of plans, and i STILL noticed teams flipping NEG.

while i, like Gerber, think a bidirectional topic would be great, i have no
expectation that we'll get one of those. at this point, a topic that allows
teams to develop their own plans (rather than have the resolution list what
plans they can run) would be cool.

2) For the love of Ahilan Arulanantham, please let the AFF actually SOLVE a
harm. it makes no sense to pick harm areas and then write the resolution in
such a way that the aff can only attempt piecemeal reforms that barely
alleviate symptoms and can never address root causes. for example, don't
include the area of legal abuses of drug enforcement if the aff can't legalize
drug consumption and distribution. a half-way approach = half-assed debates
where the aff can't actually solve the problem, the neg can't CP w/
legalization b/c it's not competitive, and it only encourages horrible K args
where the "alt" is a vague legalization option. if we want to debate executive
abuses of power in the war on terror, allow the aff to eliminate executive
authority, not merely regulate it.

hester