[eDebate] NDT COMMITTEE ACTION ITEMS IN EVANSTON

Jim Hanson hansonjb
Fri Apr 7 10:49:46 CDT 2006

Re: [eDebate] NDT COMMITTEE ACTION ITEMS IN EVANSTONas i read the rule that karla leeper sent out, undergrads can research from home and email their research during the tournament.

i did not see anything about the undergrad researchers being required to scout--which would mean they would have to travel to the tournament.

can someone clarify/confirm?

jim :)
hansonjb at whitman.edu
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Morris, Eric R
  To: Matt Cormack ; edebate at ndtceda.com
  Sent: Friday, April 07, 2006 8:25 AM
  Subject: Re: [eDebate] NDT COMMITTEE ACTION ITEMS IN EVANSTON

  The Scouts DA would link to the Mancuso proposal alone - so much so that it rule would have been one of the most effective indirect ways to kill scouting that a person could have thought up.

  Fortunately, the Lupo rule also passed, meaning that any undergrad has to provide 4 scouting rounds if they aren't competing.

  The net effect of the two rules would be to mitigate the effects of the Mancuso rule on scouting and maybe even turn the DA.

  Which, of course, is just another reason why the Lupo rule ALONE would be a better policy. At least, it deserves to be tried before we jump in with something as disruptive and controversial as the Mancuso rule.

  Unfortunately, the committee decided to vote on the Mancuso role 1st, leaving questions about whether the Lupo rule was even on the table if the Mancuso rule had failed.

  Dr. Eric Morris
  Asst Prof of Communication
  Director of Forensics
  Craig Hall 363A
  Missouri State University
  Springfield, MO 65897
  (O) 417-836-7636
  (H) 417-865-6866
  (C) 417-496-7141

  *****New Disad*****
  The Scouts DA
  a) scouts on brink- only sustained by hard working
  undergrads- mostly from pretty big schools (someone
  said MSU contributed a large number of scouts and
  judging by the amount I saw I am sure they are
  correct)
  Heidt 2k6
      We need more scouts. Last year, we asked more
  judges to cover debates when we were short on people.
  This year, we had scouts double up and simply stopped
  scouting below the break. We only asked judges for
  help if the teams were above the break and we had the
  maximum number of scouts already doing two debates. My
  feeling was that judging at the NDT is such a big job
  that it was better to miss some reports than to impose
  on the judges. But, if I were below the break, I would
  want a scouting report anyhow. More scouts would solve
  this problem.

  b) these undergrads will be forced to cut cards and
  not scout under the new rule
  Mancuso 2k6
     The rule was redesigned over the past year to
  prioritize undergraduate  research over
  non-undergraduate research deliberately in response to
  the feedback  members of the committee received from
  most of you that a "worker rule" should  not unduly
  limit the educational experience of the NDT for
  undergraduates, and  also that it should not
  discourage the team-mate-style bonding of
  undergraduates.

  c) turns all the inequality arguments- scouting helps
  everyone, i think this is self evident