[eDebate] Westin Smoking/random Charges - check your statements...

Morris, Eric R EricMorris
Sun Apr 9 16:21:07 CDT 2006

I'm feeling lucky that we didn't get into the Westin, and ended up the nearby Clarion. Penalty charges would be out of my pocket - not reimbursable. I hope they are reasonable toward everyone else, and not trying to distribute charges around to every program.

One the "smoke clears" on the Westin situation this year, this is probably an important issue to discuss in anticipation of the NDT.

Dr. Eric Morris
Asst Prof of Communication
Director of Forensics
Craig Hall 363A
Missouri State University
Springfield, MO 65897
(O) 417-836-7636
(H) 417-865-6866
(C) 417-496-7141

________________________________

From: edebate-bounces at ndtceda.com on behalf of Ken DeLaughder
Sent: Sun 4/9/06 12:54 PM
To: Pacedebate at aol.com; edebate at ndtceda.com
Subject: [eDebate] Westin Smoking/random Charges - check your statements...

I talked to people at the Westin as well.  I got charged a smoking charge,
even though everyone on my team vehemently denies anyone smoked in a room.
The credit card that was charged was not even a room with smokers in it.
Upon interrogation, the Westin people said they couldn't even tell me WHICH
room was responsible for the smoking charge, and that accounting would have
to deal with it. Apparently they just charged a credit card that I used for
one of our rooms. That's the information I received.  I don't even really
know if its a smoking charge.

I didn't even notice the charge until I saw Jackie's post and thought I'd
just go see if I was charged anything random, since I had to send in a
credit card payment anyway.  I was.  They never called or said anything at
checkout.  I suggest everyone check their credit card statements.

Here's another funny one, they charge you TAX on the charge they make to
your room.  I guess its income for them.

I called my credit card company and immediately disputed the charge.  The
Westin will "get back to me" tomorrow when accounting is in.  Apparently
accounting does these charges through their manager not the front desk.
Calling the front desk and their manager will only get you so far.

One person asked if perhaps they were making random "smoking charges" to
recoup damages from the hotel.  I am a Starwood preferred member and stay at
Westins all the time.  This is fairly ridiculous.

I sent a copy to Tim, perhaps we can put some pressure on them to alleviate
these charges.  I'll let you know how my fight goes.  Call your credit card
companies and dispute if you get a charge.

Ken