[eDebate] ???Overturning Roe v Wade????

nrichter at umsis.miami.edu nrichter
Mon Apr 10 11:59:14 CDT 2006

I am sure Nicole Colston will respond to this, but I feel the need to do so as
well:

Quoting Steven D'Amico <stevendamico at gmail.com>:

> I'm really confused by this post. I see to two different points. The
> topic
> process is not open (fair opinion, while I disagree with it) and
> debating
> roe v wade is bad for women in debate.

What do you think is good about the topic selection process? Do you not think
the lack of womyn on the committee is a problem?

> My opinion is that it's about time the community debates roe. Not
> because
> it's a womyns issue (which it obviously is) but because it's a timely
> issue
> which is about to be adressed by our government. Remember all those SC
> nominations?

You conceed that this is a womyn's issue (which seems like perhaps womyn should
be consulted about this issue), but that is not as important as the fact that
it is a current event. There are tons of other current events we could be
debating (refer to the list Nicole made in her original post like pornography),
why are we choosing to focus on this particular issue?

> Nicole, I'm not trying to be a patriarchal asshole (I've been accused of
> it
> before, I like to point out I'm just an asshole to everyone, not just
> womyn)
> But I just do not understand this statement:
>
> "I will WITHDRAW my squad's participation in NDT/CEDA debate without
> hesitation next year if Roe vs. Wade is included on the ballot.  I am
> sick
> over the extent in which this "activity" has no respect for women and
> fear
> the effects on female participation if Roe v Wade is included."
>
> I do not understand how including Roe means the community has no respect
> for
> Women. Please explain it to me. If the lack of this fact seeming obvious
> me is an indication of me being a patriarch or whatever, tell me why so
> can understand.

Explain to me how debating this issue will increase female participation in the
activity? There is only a risk that some womyn will feel personally excluded
emotionally or intellectually from this debate, thus decreasing female
participation. Because this is a womyn's issue, as you yourself have mentioned,
of course it will effect womyn in this community and the fact that womyn were
not consulted seems to prove the lack of respect. Moreover, the way it
was "mentioned" in the e-debate posts with ZERO discussion on how this would
effect womyn in the community is major oversight.

Nicole Richter
University of Miami