[eDebate] ???Overturning Roe v Wade????

Beth Skinner beth.skinner
Mon Apr 10 12:15:36 CDT 2006

I'm not going to address the topic selection process issues, just the
inclusion of Roe v Wade in the list of potential topics.

1. Running away doesn't solve anything.  This is an important social issue
in and out of debates.  Choosing not to participate is voluntarily giving up
your voice in discussions.  This choice cedes the battlefield to the very
people you don't want to have prevail.

2. You don't have to advocate things you don't believe.  Unless the whole
topic is Roe v Wade (and not any other abortion cases which seems unlikely
to me) then you can choose a case that restricts abortion to overrule if
thats what you like.  Or you can overrule Roe and replace it with something
else.  Or you can critique the resolution.

3. Abortion is not only an issue for women.  Every pregnancy has two
contributors.  Guys whose girls wrestle with the abortion option are often
effected just as personally.  Don't essentialize this issue as purely
relevant to women.  Don't essentialize all women as belonging on only one
side of this issue.

4. Is your argument that people shouldn't have to debate about things that
matter to them personally?  That seems to run against the grain of a lot of
progressive developments in debate recently.  Is it really your argument
that its better to argue about fiscal policy than social issues involving
racism or sexism?

If don't want this topic then don't vote for it but I hope those who
consider the issue will take a deeper look at the arguments than just "Oh,
I'm pro-choice so I can't debate this."

Beth Skinner
Towson Debate