[eDebate] ???Overturning Roe v Wade????

kathryn rubino kathrynrubino
Mon Apr 10 12:22:20 CDT 2006

"This topic creates a specific barrier to debate that only womyn have
to deal with. Womyn should not be forced into a position where they have to
debate or judge something they have or potentially could have a real
personal
stake in."

So are you saying we should never debate any issues involving identity
politics?  I disagree.  I debated on the title 7 topic, which as it
mandated a discussion of gender or racial discrimination had the same
problems that you identify above, and as far as I know there was no dramatic
decrease in diversity that year.  In fact I thought it was a great topic.
Yes some rounds were painful because they forced debaters to deal with
issues of privilege and discrimination that they normally could ignore-- but
isn't that why debate is a good thing?  And sometimes I felt like I was the
object of the resolution but I feel that way about "real" politics too, and
most importantly I felt that debating on that topic gave me a voice to
express how I felt and the tools to say it in the best way possible.

I also stand by the fact that you can run an overturn Roe 1ac from
a feminist sensibility that is powerfully pro-choice (and is topical)-- I
wouldn't overlook that as a reason to vote for this topic.

As for the composition of the topic committee, I have to say I was equally
outraged when I noted the composition of the committee.  But the fact is
these are the people that the community elected, yes people maybe should
have considered that when the cast their ballot, but they didn't.  That
being said I believe that the members of the committee have been actively
soliciting input from people outside of the committee in order to deal
with this.  No it isn't a perfect solution, but it is what we have.  And I
attended the topic meeting at CEDA and I felt my opinions were listened to
and respected even though I was not formally part of the committee.

Kathryn