[eDebate] ???Overturning Roe v Wade????

Steve Sawyer majeredb8
Mon Apr 10 12:24:02 CDT 2006

> I think the idea of the topic process being open assumes an idealized
> Habermasian notion of communication. You assume that men and womyn
have equal
> access to using their voice in this space. Some womyn do not feel
comfortable
> speaking to an entirely male topic committee. There is a power
relationship
> that silences some womyn or undermines their ability to feel comfortable
> speaking in this space. I believe you that your opinion may not have been
> devalued at these meetings, but I don't think you have made an
argument about
> why that is equally true for womyn.

With all due respect, this seems like a reason for interrogating a court
decision handed down by nine men in black robes.  If our society is
structured in such a way to restrict women's access to public
deliberative spaces, then _Roe_ could probably been seen as the ultimate
accomodation strategy.

-Steve