[eDebate] ???Overturning Roe v Wade????

NEIL BERCH berchnorto
Mon Apr 10 13:19:03 CDT 2006

I understand that there are plenty of ways to overturn Roe v. Wade that
expand reproductive rights.  Here, however, are two concrete concerns:
1.  A gay or lesbian judge who "has to" vote to overturn Lawrence v. Texas
and limit her/his own privacy and sexuality rights because that's the
argument that wins on the flow.
2.  An 18 year-old debater on the negative who has just had an abortion and
has to listen to a narrative-based 1AC that overturns Roe from the right.
I'm not sure this is good for that student's development.
I think these things will happen.  Other things will probably happen that
are good.  I think everyone needs to think about these arguments, but I also
think we shouldn't just dismiss the claims out of hand.
--Neil Berch
West Virginia University