[eDebate] Do not put it on the BALLOT

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Mon Apr 10 13:49:57 CDT 2006

Hello,

1. Is it possible that one can be for reform in debate but not believe that
"reform of topics" is the way to reform debate?  For instance, can you
believe in the current way topics are structured and believe that there is
sexism, racism, and classism in debate?  If this is possible, why is this
always presented in such stark and absolute us vs them terms.

2.  There is ZERO doubt that topic committee decisions are publically
accessible.  They are posted on here....The meetings dates are publically
posted and they are open to the public.  Steve even goes so far as to have
an open meeting at the Wake tournament that like 10 people max attend.  To
say it is not an open or available process is frankly insulting to the
members of the committee and the leadership of the organization.  If you
dont believe me feel free to do an edebate search.  You will find dates and
times for every meeting.  For the spring meetings over the year you will
find invitations and hotel info etc.

3.  The topic committee has announced LOUDLY over and over again for over
two years now that there will be a legal topic next year.  Over and Over and
Over again.  Again there are ways to verify this.  The best way would be to
see how many people wrote the "why wasnt I informed" email every time its
been announced.  BTW there has not been a legal area topic since Title VII
and not a courts topic for like 15 years.

I am largely trying to stay out of this debate this year.  However, I think
its more than a bit unfair for people to keep saying they dont have an
opportunity to provide input into the process.

4. A good way to, in the future, not have to feel you are excluded is to
just email the head of the topic committee Steve Mancuso if you have
questions.  He is generally very interested in constructive input.

Now, I will go back into my traditionalist shell.

Josh