[eDebate] Do not put it on the BALLOT

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Mon Apr 10 14:06:58 CDT 2006

One more thing,

I know I can seem reactionary (although in favor of the sq)....But every
single semester the same thing happens - - Topic area announced, people go
crazy.......I would like to suggest that because of being caught up in the
madness of tournament prep people are generally too busy to notice the topic
discussions/announcements every year.  I guess my question to the community
is this - why does everyone always assume its because there is a secret
topic cabal that excludes the larger community?

The topic process on edebate goes like this:

a) Area announcement - - edebate freak out b) slate of topics announcement
-- edebate freak out  c) topic voting results announced -- edebate freak out

Maybe we should talk about ways to accomplish what the topic committee needs
to accomplish during a year at the same time we increase community inputs
rather than always assume there is evil afoot.  For instance, Nicole's
webcast suggestion sounds like a good idea but for that most people in
debate probably dont know how to do it (I know Tuna does).

Josh