[eDebate] Roe v. Wade - program issues

Zompetti at aol.com Zompetti
Mon Apr 10 18:14:54 CDT 2006

I agree with Kathryn.

Debate is supposed to foster critical thinking, research, and other skills,
centered around an issue of contemporary controversy.  Given that, what
immediately comes to mind as a possible topic for debate?  Along with the  death
penalty, euthenasia, and now immigration reform, abortion is at the top of  the
list!

No wonder abortion is so widely discussed in argumentation classes and
contemporary controversy classes.  I wonder what U of I says when your  classes
discuss abortion as a controversial topic?  And, you mean to  suggest that your
political science classes never talk about abortion, or Roe v.  Wade?

To Tim and others trying to rebuild programs (oh, wait, that includes  me!):
It doesn't surprise me that China was a hardsell on departments and
administrators.  It would surprise me if a legal topic that includes  abortion would
be a problem.  Quite the opposite.  Abortion, while  being a political
lightning rod, is also an obvious pedagogical lightning rod to  teach critical
thinking.  For small and growing debate programs, we can  actually use this legal
topic to get more  support, not less.  I'd love to chat with folks who are
interested in ways  we can do this.

That's all for now....

zomp
Illinois State

In a message dated 4/10/2006 5:16:39 P.M. Central Daylight Time,