[eDebate] Topic Area Discussion

Josh Hoe jbhdb8
Mon Apr 10 19:26:00 CDT 2006

You have certainly put your finger on a major problem in the process -
generally it goes something like this:

a) Topic area paper suggests topic wordings but not many and not very
workable
b) Topic area paper doesnt suggest topic wordings - leaving entire
discretion to the committee
c) Committee decides the literature goes one was and community wants the
other
d) Committee is serving a particular view of how good topics ought be
written (of which there are several including "aff flex" which I know you
support).  And exercise discretion over direction despite what voting
community wants - usually because there is no clear way for them to know
what people want.
e) Topic wording papers that get written suggest topics that nobody in
community likes.

These problems are hard to deal with in any real way because there is so
much diversity as to HOW any topic should be constructed and lack of
uniformity over WHAT the community would support.  For instance, Hester
wants a natives topic with aff flex - Josh Hoe wants a natives topic that
makes the aff do something controversial and we both voted for Natives (not
actually true but whatever).  At the same time three members of the
committee absolutely want a list topic and four want a non-list topic.
There is no clear sense of the community on any of these questions.

Josh